How long after Barricade can I overseed

ricsin1

LawnSite Member
i think my plans of a early seeding may be ruined........... my lawn care company came today - feb 4th - and applied my late winter treatment... they sprayed BARRICADE pre-emergent and something called 3 Way Ester weed control.........

how long do I have to wait after this pre-emergent and weed control was put down to overseed fescue seed ??? can i still shoot for a March 15 aeration & overseeding or will this pre-emergent and weed control prevent my seed germination & I;d have to wait until Fall 2010??

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
It depends on what type of soil you have, rainfall, sunlight, ect......
It will also depend on what amount of AI per k [amount] they put out. If you need to overseed, I would not have them apply anymore pre- emergent this season and overseed in the Fall. Depending on some of the variables I was talking about, the Barricade should last from 3 months to 7 months.

OP
R

ricsin1

LawnSite Member
lets say i wait at least 6 weeks ( first day of spring = march 19 ) and then aerate and overseed what do you think would happen?? would the seed simply not germinate and sit there until the fall or would they simply die out...

i got a 25lb bag of Lesco Transition Blend that I can't return ( lost my receipt ) at a good price since the "expiration date " was April 2010........ I would hate for this bag of seed to go to waste!

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
lets say i wait at least 6 weeks ( first day of spring = march 19 ) and then aerate and overseed what do you think would happen?? would the seed simply not germinate and sit there until the fall or would they simply die out...

i got a 25lb bag of Lesco Transition Blend that I can't return ( lost my receipt ) at a good price since the "expiration date " was April 2010........ I would hate for this bag of seed to go to waste!

Turf Dawg is right ricsin.
Of all the pre-emergents out there, prodiamine (Barricade) has the longest chemical half-life in the soil.
In fact, I'm among quite a few veterans in this biz that suspect Barricade's best place isn't in turf, but primarily as landscape pre-emergent.
But try to tell THAT to Syngenta.
With this product they push harder & harder every year in turf & continue to do next to nothing with it in beds! Makes NO sense! :dizzy:

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
The seed will not go "bad" as long as it does not get wet. Keep it off the floor and in a dry place and you will be fine.

I would not seed first day of spring no matter what. Even if you areate, there is no guarantee it will still germinate. I usually wait 14 to 16 weeks after barricade is applied before seeding.

Is it common practice to seed in the spring down south? and to use a cool season grass seed? Can you wait till fall? There is a good chance that seeding in the spring, your gonna waste your seed and be out that money.

Up north here, I try not to seed in the spring unless it is really necessary, like moderate to heavy shade conditions, because of the hot summers. The new grass will just not make it through if not irrigated.

Good luck

NattyLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
We've had issues here in PA with spring Barricade apps and fall overseeding 5 months later. Now, no one has mentioned this, but will breaking the "barrier" (where's Smallaxe?) so to speak by aerating let the OP seed with decent germination rates?

But I also would take grass4gas's advice too. Unless you can keep the grass irrigated in the summer, you might want to wait. It's been hot and dry in GA the last few years but it seems like you guys are finally getting consistent rain.

okcfire

LawnSite Member
Preemergents are a class of herbicides that are designed to hold in place on the top layer of soil and kill young seedlings as they emerge. In other words if you put down the grass seed now it will not just let that seed lie dormant till it wears off. The grass will germinate and then die. Looks like you get to over seed in the fall which is the best time anyway. I never pre-emerge fescue areas until talking with the homeowner. Those areas typically do not seem to be weed problem areas in Ok and the weeds that do get in them are easy to kill.

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
No, it's not common to seed in the South. The best time is going to be in the fall, if you aerate in seed in the spring down here you're gonna get crabgrass out the (you know what) come summer time (Not to mention that seed will not have time to mature when the summer heat hits). Do people do it....Yes.....Why? Cause they have the wrong information. Your lawn care company did the right thing. Keep your seed dry and wait until fall to use it, you'll be fine.

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
i think my plans of a early seeding may be ruined........... my lawn care company came today - feb 4th - and applied my late winter treatment... they sprayed BARRICADE pre-emergent and something called 3 Way Ester weed control.........

Oh, I forgot to mention before...
If I lived in central GA & had a lawn care service come to my place & try to apply any pre-emergent the 1st week of February, I'd tell them to go pound salt!... :cool2: ....particularly THIS season the way the South has had abnormally cold weather vs. here & Canada, where they're trucking in tremendous amount of snow for the Olympics because it's not cold enough to make it. :dizzy:

At the very least, If I were you I'd keep a close eye on the broadleaf weeds in your lawn that they sprayed with 3 Way Ester.
When the 3rd week of February ends, check them, and if they're not dead I'd have the company come back & do (at least) a spot respray for you.
And I'll bet the soil temps will be a lot warmer by then, so it'll be more effective.

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
I would not seed first day of spring no matter what. Even if you areate, there is no guarantee it will still germinate. I usually wait 14 to 16 weeks after barricade is applied before seeding.

Is it common practice to seed in the spring down south? and to use a cool season grass seed? Can you wait till fall? There is a good chance that seeding in the spring, your gonna waste your seed and be out that money.

Up north here, I try not to seed in the spring unless it is really necessary, like moderate to heavy shade conditions, because of the hot summers. The new grass will just not make it through if not irrigated.

You're 100% right about late summer / early fall seeding being the most ideal time.
And you know as well as I do that a lot of people professionals not excluded don't do enough to make good soil / seed contact no matter when they get around to sowing it. That's crucial, just as much as proper watering.

But I must say g4g you absolutely live on the edge seeding that soon after Barricade apps.
There is little to no support industry-wide anymore for the outdated "barrier theory" of pre-emergent, so poking holes through Barricade isn't the answer to the problem.
Using the right product for the job at the correct timing is.

In my quarter century's experiences I've come across dozens upon dozens of grow-in or renovation failures due to residual prodiamine left over from spring.
Unfortunately in X% of these Barricade-residual situations the client ends up blaming the vendors claiming bad seed or whatever, or the vendor will say the client didn't water...well I don't have to tell you folks these sad stories because you've probably lived through them yourselves!

Top Forums