1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How long after renovation...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CT John, Oct 9, 2003.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

...should I wait to apply a second application of fertilizer. I applied starter fertilizer at the time I seeded. That was 4 weeks ago. KBG is coming in well. I have read that you should apply a second app between 4 and 6 weeks afterwards. First frost was this past Monday. Or should I just wait a few more weeks and put down a winterizer type app.

2. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Anyone?

3. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

4 - 6 weeks is a good rule of thumb. What was the analysis of the starter fert along with the percentage of slow release? I think most recommendations for new KBG will lean towards about 4 pounds of Phosphorus (per 1000 sq ft) in first year of establishment.

I have the same situation (KBG / rye mix), and will be doing the 2nd starter (Lesco's 18-24-12 50%ppscu) this weekend (4 and a half weeks after first app). It is coming in good, but slows with the colder temps. I believe in hitting newly seeded areas 'hard' by getting the apps of starter down at 4-5 weeks, without fail. I would have preferred to get the seed down about 2-3 weeks prior, which would have aloud me to have 3 apps of starter before winter...but I failed to get it done.

As far as the starter versus 'winterizer'...what do you want form a winterizer? N....K??? Personally, I like the balance of 1:1 N:K ratio for established turf, which my starter is close to. So, when my starter fert is applied at rate(1# P), I also get 3/4#N...which is adequate for those areas that consist of established turf.

Hope that helps...it works well for me.