1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How long can you stay at one site.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jun 16, 2006.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I start getting antsy on lawns that take me (solo) more than 2 hours. These are multiple houses where there is lots of trimming. If the trimming was minimal, I'd probably last a little longer. It must be my un-diagnosed ADD.
    Do you get antsy at long stops?

2. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

we have a site that take 8hours, and by the four hour mark, i want to go

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

2 hours at say $100 bucks an hour nope i'm fine.

4. No not really. Long hours=big jobs=more money.

I guess I really prefer the bigger jobs. I've daydreamed about a job that would take most of the week. maybe just one big client. Just watch the landscape get better and better.

Heck! I'm in the process of stretching the time I spend on each client with upselling bed work, tree pruning, weed & feed, aeration etc.
    If they'll pay my labor rate they'll have to run me off!

Dave

I DO try to stay productive though. And by that I mean producing income.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

If I'm just mowing, I can last all day, it doesn't bother me. Trimming...that's another story. I used to have an account that took 5 hours mowing, mowing was great, I used to get sad at the end because I had to go drive and deal with people again. Same with a cemetary that took 4 hours, that was a good one too, I used to just get lost mowing really, time would fly so the day went faster. I used to like having all big accounts and putting in a 12 hour day once a week rather then the other 4 days working 8 hours a day at 15 accounts.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhh yeah, but depends on the work. If it's straight grass-cutting, I start to feel the drag sometime after an acre or an hour or so into it, 2 hours of straight cut and trim and I want to puke LOL.

Other jobs, 3-4 hour stretches make my day but much beyond that, my feet and everything else start to drag.

What I like to do is put in a strong 3-4 hour stretch, then take off and go do something else, split jobs like this into 2 days, then come back the next day and knock it out. I'm well-known for splitting large jobs into 3-4 days even, just a half a day at a time, then run back home and load up the mower and go do that for the other half of the day. While I'm home, eat lunch.

With mulch it's easier: One trailer in the morning, one in the afternoon - This gives me an hour or so break in between, doesn't matter at that point if it's all going to the same yard or not because to me, a load is a load is a load.

If anyone ever asks, I like to tell them that the first 3-4 hours are my best, after that they're not getting their money's worth anymore so I switch to another task and come back after I've had a break and I'm fresh again.
    This seems to work for me pretty good.

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I am basicly solo. I get help from family members from time to time, but no hired hands. I like working alone. My largest customer is 59 acres(which includes buildings and parking lots). It takes 2 long days to mow and trim. I have a 20ft enclosed trailer with everything I need on site so I don't have to stop. No unloading and reloading every few minutes. Not much windshield time. My girl friend brings me lunch and cold drinks while I cruise around on the 72" tiger. I also have several (34) smaller props, so some days I'm hopping from yard to yard and 2 days a week I do the big one.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Two hours and only 100 dollars. You need to make more than that.

9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:weightlifter: No-way 2hrs work and only 100 bucks, you need to rethink your price, atleast 80 per hour, you could do 6 solo all on the same area and do 210 at just 35 per lawn.......Marks Mowing Service

10. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

My church cemetary takes about 3.5-4 hrs about half mowing and half trimming and doing some cleanup I usually do the mowing take a water break then finish up and press on