How long did it take?

Turf Logic

LawnSite Member
Guys Im sincerely considering going into the lawn care sector. I have all of the equipment from previously doing some lawn maintenance such as several 80 lb lesco spreaders, gas powered lesco spreader, couple 200 gallon lesco sprayers and several ford super duties. I looked into a weed man franchise but our area is currently covered. I have put a down payment on real green software and am ready to start picking up business. The area that I am located in does not have a lot of competition from owner/operators or the national guys. My question to you is, was it worth it? How many years deep are you? How many accounts have you acquired? Do you wish you would have franchised? Any insight before I get started?

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
Franchises are a waste of money. They don't find work for you, you still have to get the work your self the only thing is is that you have a franchise name that some people might recognize.

OP
Turf Logic

Turf Logic

LawnSite Member
Franchises are a waste of money. They don't find work for you, you still have to get the work your self the only thing is is that you have a franchise name that some people might recognize.
I agree with this completely, however I do feel franchises take some of the guess work out. IE operating systems, troubleshooting support, and some advertising. Im leaning towards not franchising, but its hard to turn my head to the franchises in my area having a couple million dollars in business a piece.

JBNC

LawnSite Member
I think either option could work, It just depends on what you're looking for. Personally I would rather build up my own company than work under a franchise name. That being said Weed Man and similar franchises do seem to help out franchise owners a lot. There is a lot of stuff that is taken care of for you, saves you a ton of trouble.

I'm planning on starting a lawn care company either where I live now just south of Raleigh, or down in the Wilmington area. I know the Weed Man down there covers just about every beach within 45 min of Wilmington, and even west into Leland, Whiteville, etc. Is there any other big lawn care guys down that way? Trugreen?

My in laws have a place at Ocean Isle, I'll be down there this weekend actually!