How long do I wait to call again.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. 944own

    944own LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,178

    Long story short this realtor lady had a house for sale and told me to cut it every 2 weeks till it sells. I told her I bill at the end of the month and she said fine it was $40.00 a cut. I cut it 1 time in april and sent a bill for $40.00. She never paid and I cut it 2 times in may and I called her to inquire about the april bill and she said she had just sold the house and to send her a final bill. I sent it out May 30 total $120.00 for 2 cuts in may and 1 in april. Still no check should I wait till around the 15th and call and see if she has sent payment yet. All my other customers are really fast payers so not really sure how long to wait. She still has not paid for April.
  2. FLAhaulboy

    FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 852

    Go visit her at the office or call...again.
  3. 944own

    944own LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,178

    You dont think it would be out of line to go ahead and call again now I dont want to seem pushy and I only mailed the final bill out 9 days ago.
  4. Tofutti

    Tofutti LawnSite Member
    Messages: 100

    IMHO, Send the final bill again with a reminder note, then call her on the 15th of this month. Do not cut it again until this is resolved. In the meantime, stop by the residence if you are in the area and try to meet/greet the new owners and simply tell them that you were contracted by the realitor to mow the lawn while it was on the market and that you would love to continue with it and see what other services you can provide them with. If they see that it's been a while since mowed, just say that there was some confusion in the communication between the realtor and you the last couple weeks, and you weren't sure if they wanted you to proceed. Don't mention the non-pay issue. You may very well end up with another client and even if the realtor doesn't pay, you could still only end up losing $120, but may gain a year-round service.
  5. 944own

    944own LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,178

    She told me to quit cutting it after may because it sold so I was not planning on cutting it anymore. She said she would give the new owners my number but I was still planning on stopping by and talking to them. I like the idea of sending the bill again then I will call on the 15th I just dont want to seem pushy because she could be a good person to know if she pays. Realtors always have vacant houses they are trying to sell and need them cut.
  6. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

    Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 322

    if you sent it 9 days ago wait 6 more days. i give customers 15 days and then theres a late fee...they all usually send it within 3 days of receiving. but i would call again on the 15th day...just give it a few more days
  7. Daily Lawn/Landscape

    Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 695

    I would be on the phone tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day and the next. She is already past due for the $40, do you really think she is gonna pay you for the other $80.
    I would be a thorn in her side until paid in full. If she works for a reality company, go talk with the upper management.Good luck!

  8. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Yeah I mean don't cuss her out but you don't want to worry too much about offending her precious feelings
    because you need to get paid and she's had plenty time to at least send you the first $40,
    so if you want to wait to the 15th, I'd get on this one without too much further reservation.

    Yeah see, that's starting to dawn as a very real possibility, you need to get on her in case of legalities,
    in some states you only have 60 to 90 days before your statute of limitations expires but either way,
    statistics state that past 90 days your chances of ever collecting drop in half, so get on her.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. Dr.NewEarth

    Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,476

    For reference at least, I would check out the time frame allowed in your state before
    you can no longer apply a builders/mechanics lien on the property. Also check out the cost.

    Up here in Canuck Land, if the client hasn't paid by the end of the month and we believe there will not be a payment.... we only have 45 days from the original invoice date to apply a lien.

    Some realtors are only used car salesmen in expensive suits!
  10. 944own

    944own LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,178

    I think I will give it a day or 2 longer at least maybe I will call her friday if it does not show by then. It is BS that she has not even sent the $40.00 for april.

Share This Page