How long do new start ups last on average ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by paulsgrass, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

One of the more comical things I've seen over the years was a beat up old truck with 3 guys inside and an old 48"wb in the bed. 3 man crew with one old mower.

2. SilverPine

SilverPine LawnSite Member

One guy on the 48, one on a trimmer and the other on the blower. Teamwork.

3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

The only issue w that setup (for me) is that many lawns are 20minutes of mowing for every 5-10 minutes of trimming & blowing. I’ve worked on crews before and as the trimmer blower guy you stretch the length out to look busy. But it can be a huge drop in efficiency vs solo or even 2 man crew. Either way Any lco should be timing their mowing and trimming on each lawn - to get an idea of where there is room for improvement (in both price and efficiency). Minutes matter on a mowing crew.

4. SilverPine

SilverPine LawnSite Member

Dont forget, employees love watching their coworkers work.

5. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing it 25yrs paid cash for everything. I work full time job for 30yrs also. My wife and son help me to.

6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Any tips on making it that long while working FT? What type of work are you doing and how many hours are you putting in? Just finished my 8th year while working FT and I Would be lying if I said I’m not getting burned out.

7. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

If your working two jobs I don't think theirs anything you can do to avoid burnout.you can't beat your body and get away with it.

Cam15 and caseysmowing like this.
  8. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

i think it depends on what kind of work you do and how many hours you are putting in. Personally i work 36 hours in an office building. i dont mind putting in about 12-15 hours a week working with my hands outside. However if i was working outside for my full time job or my full time job was very labor intensive i can see where it could wear you down. im heading into season 4.

9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn’t call my day job physical but I am on my feet the whole time. Here lately it’s only been 40 hour weeks. Spring-summer ballpark I put in another 25 hours mowing, mulching, and trimming bushes. I rarely work a Saturday during those months. Fall is completely different due to the lack of daylight hours.

10. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Any full time job is physical.may be on your mind instead of body though

Cam15, sjessen and paulsgrass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.