How long is too long for repair shop?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by zlandman, Jan 27, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

If you take a machine to a repair shop how long would be a reasonable amount of time for them to fix it?
    I dropped my machine off in October to have electric power steering fixed. They're having trouble finding the issue. And not communicating much at all about the progress.
    So its October, November, December, January... say 14 weeks. Is that a typical and reasonable amount of time? I plow snow with the machine and really want it back.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

What machine is it?

3. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like a electrical problem. Try to be reasonable with them. Ask them to call the manufacturer for help since they are unable to find the problem themselves. If they hem and haw, ask for your machine back and move on.

4. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

It's a Yamaha grizzly. They've replaced every component that touches the steering system including the wire harness. They've called a couple times saying we found the problem and ordered parts we'll call when it's done. then I don't hear from them again for weeks.
    Should have took to a dealer so they had that manufacturer resource to lean on.

5. Tommy Kite

Tommy Kite LawnSite Member

Ever get the machine back? What did you pay/total time out of service and what was the issue?

6. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Actually got fed up, went and picked up the machine. It had been months. Guy was real apologetic. They were waiting on another machine to come in so they could swap out the main module to confirm if that was the issue. So the wait was based on the fact no one else had brought in an identical machine to pull known good parts from.

Anyway I paid them for their trouble (probably not enough considering the hours they had in it). Life got busy and haven't had a chance to take to a dealership. Not going to snow here this year anyway so no snow plowing.