1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How long should a ZTR Battery last.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by WilsonBoud, Nov 20, 2017.

1. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I purchased a Scag Cheetah 61" (Kaw 921) mower in about April '13. Here it is some four years and seven months later and I think my battery is dying.

I cut my yard yesterday and had to put a charger on the battery to start it. This is the second time I find that a battery charger was needed to start the mower in order to cut my grass. Based on two hours of run time yesterday, I feel the battery should have been fully charged.

I checked the battery this morning with a voltmeter, and it registered 12.44 volts. I tried the starter and it just clicks.

How long should an AMG Lawnmower battery last ..?
    What is the minimum voltage needed coming from the battery to start the engine..?
    How can I tell if the engine charging system is not charging the battery...?

2. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Member

Like any other lead acid battery, it depends on how you maintain it and typical life is 4-7 years. I always keep my tractor batteries on battery minders when not in regular use and I typically get about 6 years give or take. Each time you allow them to discharge you shorten their life, especially if they're not deep cycle as most are not.

So 4 years is not unheard of. Look for the manufacture date on the battery versus your purchase date and you may find it's 5+ years old ;)

Northern Tool right now has a Battery Minder Plus with desulfinator cycle on sale for $24.99. That's the best price I've ever gotten them for.

PS - while it's good to test the voltage output you need to have a tester that can tell you the amperage for starting.

RDALawns, hort101 and WilsonBoud like this.
  3. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Your response brought to mind, I have such capability on my Smart Battery Charger. Plus it has the capability of Desulfication. I just never thought of these things. Thanks for the quick response...

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can check voltage when trying to start....likely not 12 by a lot.

Smokindog likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you guys do better than me. mine only last about 2 years or so then they are dead.

sjessen, RDALawns and larryinalabama like this.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id be thrilled with 4 years.
    Can someone post a link to those "desulifcator" chargers?

sjessen and RDALawns like this.
  7. Smokindog

8. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Our winters arent hard here. My mowers set in my shop maybe 2 or 3 months during the winter. A heated shop btw. If I get 2 years on a battery I feel lucky.

sjessen and weeze like this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

same here. winter is like 2 months long here. i go out and crank up the mower and let it run for 5min once each of those months to keep the battery charged up and to keep the gas flowing through the carb or whatever.

RDALawns likes this.
  10. Smokindog

Our winters aren't harsh in north Texas either and I also run my mowers at least monthly. I do however keep them plugged into the aforementioned Battery Minder and I highly recommend them.

If you're only getting two years out of a battery, what have you got to lose? An extra year pays for it :) They also come with connectors you can permanently attach so you just plug it in.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

hort101 likes this.