1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How long should a ZTR Battery last.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by WilsonBoud, Nov 20, 2017.

1. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need a new battery. The extreme summers in Louisiana wreak havoc on batteries and the cooler weather will tell the tale. If you've gotten 3-4 years out of it consider yourself lucky. One of my machines has a three year old battery and I can tell it won't be long before it needs to be replaced.

WilsonBoud, hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  2. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Heat is a worse killer of batteries than cold. That's why batteries last longer in cars that have the battery compartment in the trunk instead of in the engine compartment.

Smokindog likes this.
  3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Well now Pappy I see you never lived where it gets minus 40º. If your battery isn't fully charged it will freeze and split open. Thats pretty hard on batterys. ;)

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Heat is what kills batteries. Our are swelled and done by 2 years tops. 4 years is great lifespan. I'm waiting for Opitimas or another sealed gel battery to come along. I run Opitimas on all vehicles, and other equipment with amazing performance.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might look at Deka we are going well beyond 2 years and pretty hot here.

WilsonBoud and TLAR like this.
  6. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean 35 degrees isn't cold?? :D I could never make it up north.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  7. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Member

Poor maintenance/not keeping your battery at full charge leads to the largest problems for battery failure. Heat and cold are bad and will kill the already weakened battery but poor maintenance is the prime cause of early failure. Undersized batteries is probably the second leading cause of premature failure.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/what_causes_car_batteries_to_fail

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    hort101 and WilsonBoud like this.
  8. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

OK .... Using my "smart" battery charger, I desulfated the AGM battery three times (the charger info suggests up to five times). Then I fully charged the battery. After a full charge, I disconnected the battery and waited three days. I checked the battery this morning and noticed a voltage of 12.76 from the battery on the meter.

Trouble is, I don't know if 12.76 is a good or bad number for a resting battery.

While I was doing the desulfating process, I picked up two BatteryMinders (one for the RV and one for the Scag ZTR).

Today I connected the BatteryMinder to the Scag, and will test the voltage in a couple of weeks.

I have no idea when I will cut grass next.

Thanks to all for the posts and comments. I think I may have rescued my battery for at last another season.

Because of the posted information, I feel sure that I have avoided battery issues for my new RV. Thanks again.

I will let everyone know about my Scag battery voltage numbers in a couple of weeks.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Fully charged 12V battery reads 12.7-12.8V resting.

WilsonBoud likes this.
  10. Smokindog

Smokindog LawnSite Member

That's good but that resting voltage is only part of the equation for battery health ;) You need to measure it under load OR buy a meter that will give you the approximate CCA being delivered. I bought a cheapy from HF that does the trick. There is typically a weekly 20% off coupon for a single item (sign up for email/text alerts) OR sometimes 25% around Holidays. Since you've got an RV I'd make the investment.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html

PS - I'm sure you know but RV batteries are typically 12V for the coach and pairs of 6V lashed in parallel for the house. Make sure you look in your owners manual for using a charger. Many Tiffins come with this exact BatteryMinder pre-installed. Look on the BatteryMinder website and you'll see they make other RV specific products. I'm guessing a bit more weather resistant.

When you have to replace as many as 6 house batteries and 2 coach batteries prematurely, you learn about the importance of battery maintenance (including adding water) :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    WilsonBoud likes this.