How long should my trailer tires last?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Derwood, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Big Tex single axle trailer with a basket up front. I haul my Cheetah, a 21 Honda,1 trimmer and a blower, and a small toolbox with very little in it. I probably put 150 miles on all year as everything is pretty local. But both my tires are bald in Nov. when I finished up for the season (and they were brand new last spring). Granted, I did buy these from Wally World in April - because I was in a jam. The back tires of my machine are pretty much right in line with the tires on the trailer when loaded. The 21 sits up front to one side.

Should I go to a tire shop and have them put radials on? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I forgot to look at the details of the tires/rims before typing so right now, I don't know their sizes. I think it's a 15" rim and probably a 75 tire.

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

They go quick, but 150 miles is awful. They should go 10K miles at least.

tebletlawns and RDALawns like this.
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I've stopped using trailer tires, they suck. Use an LT tire that's rated for more weight than your trailer. Find some with a groove like tread pattern for a smoother tow.

4. Derwood

Can I use the same rims for that? I was wondering if it's all the backing up and pivoting that's done with mine. Seems like I have lots of short runs, with a ton of turning and backing up (lol I suppose everyone does that!!) and in the heat, with hot pavement and warm rubber???? maybe they just wear out????

5. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

It's probably no different than a vehicle. The alignment is off and wearing your tires. I get 2 plus years out of my tires.I probably have 1 trailer with 3 year old tires. My trailers get way more miles a year than 150.

6. Derwood

I may have understated the miles. Forgot about taking the machine round trip several times to the dealer, etc. Maybe 500 miles... still that seems low compared to others

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I used Cooper tires on my tandem axle trailer and after a year of use they still look new. Previously I could only get a season out of trailer tires. Hankook makes a high weight low profile LT tire that's used on sprinter vans that would work well, I think it's 26" tall.

hort101 likes this.
  8. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Im running trailer tires. Always have. Never had issue with them.

9. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

I use a tandem of a fiends that he pulls at least 1000 a year and the tires are going to rot before they wear out.

RDALawns likes this.
  10. brycez28

brycez28 LawnSite Senior Member

Single axle tires should last way longer than that! My tandem dump trailer goes through three sets of tires a season....two rear sets and one front set. That is about 8k miles.

tebletlawns likes this.