How long should my trailer tires last?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Derwood, Dec 22, 2017.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    Male, from Lansing, KS

A decent set of tires should last 10-20k at least on a single axle trailer. Both tires are always rolling. On a tandem axle, two tires are dragging while the other 2 are rolling when turning.

Dawson and RDALawns like this.
  2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Silver Member

I've got two sets of trailer tires from the late 90s that outlasted the trailers. I keep them as backups and check inflation every 6 months. Very low milage and I used Armor All on the side walls a couple of times over the years. Still in good shape, garage kept and I have yet to need them.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Almost gave up on getting tires to last more than one year. But I am trying these Good Year $130 installed with hazard warranty. Anybody used these?

KIMG4638.jpg

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Bought two of them this fall. They are impressive 10 ply. I get a larger size then you 225/75R15 and whats cool about them is the load is 2,830 per tire they have a 80 psi rating. Don't know how they will wear yet hardly got any miles on them but the stats are impressive.

5. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

Those Goodyear Endurance are supposed to be the best trailer tires made, and the only ones made in the USA.

I could not find them for a decent price when I needed tires this spring so I bought a set of Carlisle Radial Trail HDs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IHIMKFE/ref=psdc_404866011_t3_B00N4CB9T2

The first set only lasted 1 day, they were still banded together on the triailer and someone stole them when I was at the gas station. The second set has done very well over the summer and has very little wear with somewhere around 8-10k miles. So far they are the best trailer tires I have owned. I have gone through 2 sets of goodride tires in a summer before within around 12k miles.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

Any chance they are available in 14 inch size?

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Not with that weight rating but yes look the model up.

8. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...found it but is it a biasply or a radial? None of the info on them I could find says explicitely. My experience with many different trailer tires over the years on the same dual axle trailer is that radials typically wear 2 to 4 times longer (depending on quality of the biasply) than bias ply tires. I've had biasPlys that lasted anywhere from 6 months to 1-year before they were completely bald while every radial I have tried takes about 2 years to go bald, give or take a few months, maxxis being the best radial st I've tried.
    This last time around I decided to try some LT tires and found some hankooks in the 14 inch size. They are at about a year old now and looking like they could make it longer than 2 years and they were considerably cheaper than any radial trailer tires I've tried.

9. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

10. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Senior Member

Bought 4 of them for my horse trailer in a bigger size this past spring. Good to hear they are holding up well and you can't beat the price.

bmc1025 and Love the Green Biz like this.