How many bushes are about to die?

ksJoe

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm installing a 200,000 BTU tankless water heater. That's its stainless steel vent there on the right. The manual says plants within 4 feet may die. I think its about two to those evergreens.

The 4' doesn't appear to be a fire hazard restriction, since the vent can be 12" above ground (which may be covered with dead grass), and 18" from a corner. The 4' seems to be just because it may kill the plants.

There are three evergreen bushes in row on the left side of the picture. The farthest one from the camera we really don't want to die. Its at the front of the house and blocks the view of the gas meter & stuff. The second one is in front of the vent. We would prefer it not die, but its ok if it does. The third one (closes to the camera) doesn't really matter, other than the hassle of removing it if does die.

Any guesses on whether or not they will die?
Should I trim them back more?
If I remove the third bush now, will the second one live?
Any thing else I should do?

(ignore the cable tv wire flopping around. Its not connected, I just haven't gotten around to yanking it)

DSC05721.jpg

jkearnan

LawnSite Member
I don't know anything about the tankless water heaters...but 200,000 btu would appear to be a good chunk of heat. Does the vent actually blow out, via a fan type exhaust, or is it just a natural heat exhaust like a regular hot water heater?

Just brainstorming here....but since the area is blocked/shielded from view anyway could you build a little fire pit type structure, U shaped out from the house and up say 18 inches, of brick, which would absorb the heat for dispersal and prevent it from flowing into the greenery? You could almost make an open box type structure out of brick that it could vent right into.....bricks are cheap and that many bricks would hold a bunch of heat in one location yet disperse it quickly.

Some may find that idea crazy but otherwise I don't know how you find out if it will kill the evergreens without trying it....and then if it does it's too late (or I guess you could try something like the brick idea then and replace the killed off trees).

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
The dry heat, actually dries the foliage that eventually, kills the entire plant, in many cases. jkearnan, is correct, in that some sort of blockade may help prevent this problem.

OP
K

ksJoe

LawnSite Senior Member
I could get some cinder blocks and stack them up against the evergreens.

Yes, it has a fan for the exhaust. The manual makes it sound like it blows pretty hard. It has to have Category 3 vent (stainless steel, pressure rated), not the normal double wall vent.

The other thing is, 200k BTU is the max, when using 3 appliances. The minimum is 19k BTU. We only have 2 showers, and most of the time we'd only be using one shower/appliance at a time. So most of the time, it should be quite a bit less than 200k.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
That could work. Be flexible and make adjustments, if needed.
Can you move them b4 they die?

OP
K

ksJoe

LawnSite Senior Member
Can you move them b4 they die?

Anything is possible, but I don't think its worth the trouble. The black under the gravel is a sprinkler valve box (close to the bush, a little further from the camera than the vent). At least one sprinkler water line goes right under the middle bush and passes very close to the third bush. I don't know which way the gas line goes.

I don't have access to a tree spade without renting one. I think my Dad still has a tiny excavator, but that would make a big hole and get into the water lines.

If it wasn't for the obstacles, that would be good. I wouldn't mind having one beside the far one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Top Forums