1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How many cuts per person or team an hour?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane Scaife, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Shane Scaife

Shane Scaife LawnSite Member

How many cuts do you do, or do you expect, per person or per team, per hr?

I know it varies on size, slope, trees, and so on, so lets say we are talking an avg. 100'-100' prop with one tree.

One man can do ? an hr.
    Two men can do ? an hr.
    Three men can do ? an hr

One-truck crews.

I was thinking by my self I can figure on one lawn each 45 minuets or about 10 jobs per 8 hr day. A two-man crew should be able to do 2 per hr or 16 per 8 hr day.

Is this right? What do you figure with drive time?

P.S. 36in scag mower

Thanks
    Shane

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you mow 10 lawns in 10 hours alone you are mowing 1 per hour. So you would think that 2 should do 20 in 10 hours. But you will still have the same amount of drive time, so it wont be exactly double, although there are times when having 2 people will go faster than you would expect, for example blowing in the wind. I know i didnt awnser the question, but its something to think about.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Working solo I was doing about one lawn every 45 minutes or so. But I was worn out by the end of the day. With a helper we do an average about 2 per hour including travel time. I don't have any of those 10 minute lawn jobs some people talk about.

I have found that I am more accurate by measuring earnings per hour over jobs per hour. My expense structure requires me to make $70 per hour. That means a one hour job is $70, two thrity minute jobs are $35 each. Two jobs per hour at $25 each will not make it for me.

4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 man crew that does 5-12000 sq ft yards do about 30 yards per day.
    But they have the right equipment also, you're killing yourself with a 36" mower. They have 3 walkbehinds, a 36" for small gated back yards, a 52" as a backup, and a 60". The 60" guy stays mowing all the time, might blow a little. The other guy, edges drive, walks and curbs, then blows. Whoever is done first will lift up the ramp on trailer maybe gas up 2 cycle equip and time to jump in truck together and off they go to next yard or yards. We have about 100 of these yards in a 5 sq mile area. They get them done in 3 days.

5. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

(solos)Why worry about how fast you can do a lawn, as long as you get all your lawns done, by the end of the week thats all that matters. I myself enjoy lawn work, and want to give my customers the best looking lawn that i can. It really doesn't matter how much i make an hour, because i don't care about working the hours.

6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

me,along with 2 employees can do between 2-5 accounts /hr. Depending on what size they are, most are no more than 10k sq ft & no less than 3k sq ft with the exception of one or two large one's.

where also run a 48" GHS Walker, 36" Lesco, 21" Honda

7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

working solo i average 15 lawns a day with drive time ,lot sizes are 50/ 80 to
    100 /250 7am to 5pm

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm solo and use a Hustler ZTR with a 52" deck. Most of my lawns are 12k-15k SF. I can mow 2 of them per hour on average. I can usually do 15 lawns in 8-9 hours which includes travel time. All properties are mowed, trimmed, edged, and blown clean each week. I have 65 weekly accounts and can usually do them all in 4-1/2 days... weather permitting.

9. Shane Scaife

Shane Scaife LawnSite Member

Thank you all. Great info.
    Shane