• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How many flyers???

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
I want to pick up 30-50 accounts. I am going to be putting out flyers in the subdivisions with fairly small yards. How many flyers do you think I should put out to get close to my goal. I was thinking that it will take about 5000 but hoping maybe less, what do you guys think?

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
completely depends what your flyer's look like, and what areas your targeting. If your flyer's look like you bought a mower at a garage sale yesterday, and you want to start cutting grass today, your probably not going to get any calls.

Are you only advertising lawn mowing? Because my company put out 5,000 door hangers last spring, and these door hangers were by far the most slick looking things money could buy, and we picked up 3 lawn mowing jobs on it. AND they all had a coupon for the first two lawn mowings free with a seasonal contact. We were also offering a dozen of other things as well though. But if all your offering in grass cutting, and you want 30 homes, you best be planning to hang at least 50,000 door hangers.

Its not as easy as you think.. just go around handing papers out, and the phone starts ringing. It it was, everyone would be doing it.

I would say the jobs my company gets from door hangers (all jobs, not grass cutting) allow us to break even on cost and time placing them, but it gets my company's logo in front of every ones face, and we see higher % of jobs coming from our target areas in the 2-3 years after they are hung.

Not the news you were looking for.. but door hangers and flyer's, will have long term effects, if they look professional. If they look crappy, it will only serve to hurt you.

OP
N

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I will disagree with you there. I have had better response with cheap looking flyers...much better. I typically recieve a 1-3% Response Rate in March but that is off of just 1000 -1500. I wasnt sure if my percentage should go up or down by putting out more. I would think it would stay the same but if you factor in the fact that the homes are over a larger area the percentages could change alot. Also it was 3yrs ago that I was receiving those kind of number so I figure it wont be as high with the economy the way it is.

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I will disagree with you there. I have had better response with cheap looking flyers...much better. I typically recieve a 1-3% Response Rate in March but that is off of just 1000 -1500. I wasnt sure if my percentage should go up or down by putting out more. I would think it would stay the same but if you factor in the fact that the homes are over a larger area the percentages could change alot. Also it was 3yrs ago that I was receiving those kind of number so I figure it wont be as high with the economy the way it is.
hey, you asked the question... and I answered it based on what my company does. If you already knew your response rate, why did you even ask the question.

RESPONSE, in my mind = SALE.. not just a phone call.

OP
N

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
Dont get me wrong I appreciate the response I was just comparing my percentages with yours .... but like I said I only put out about 1500 at a time my percentages were calls and I close 80 percent of the jobs. I figure that the percentages really depend on where you are located. Im sure some methods work better than others in one area and maybe opposite in the next. Thanks for your response though. Oh and I asked the question because that was 3 years ago ....maybe things have changed.

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I also target HIGH END areas. Areas with probably get a LOT of other landscapers attention as well. maybe the lesser areas will yeild better responses, but I just hate with dealing with customers that can barely afford my services.

mgm

LawnSite Member
We have advertised with door hangers for the past 5 years in 6 cities in Tarrant county , average distribution of 60,000 door hangers and average sign up is 45 to 55 new customers every time we advertise , by the end of the season we will have lost 8 to 12 of those new customers , see DFW Area Landscaper last post " CHURN "

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
We have advertised with door hangers for the past 5 years in 6 cities in Tarrant county , average distribution of 60,000 door hangers and average sign up is 45 to 55 new customers every time we advertise , by the end of the season we will have lost 8 to 12 of those new customers , see DFW Area Landscaper last post " CHURN "
ya.. see thats more like the response I would expect.

mgm

LawnSite Member
N.TX we are a Mow,Trim,Blow and Go company and target small 6k to 14k residential lots, if you advertise in the same type areas then you could expect no more than 4 new customers from 5000 door hangers - if your advertised price is $25 to $28 per cut per week like ours is.

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
N.TX we are a Mow,Trim,Blow and Go company and target small 6k to 14k residential lots, if you advertise in the same type areas then you could expect no more than 4 new customers from 5000 door hangers - if your advertised price is $25 to $28 per cut per week like ours is.
geezz! what is up with u guys from Texas! for lawns that size I get $40-$59 per cut!