1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

How many guys on each crew?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewWave, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. NewWave

    NewWave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 93

    We currently have around 130 mowing accounts that are mowed weekly. 90% being residential accounts and the remaining 10% being commercial accounts. Our goal next season is to have 200 accounts so that we can have one 2 man crew per 100 accounts. Right now we are running a three man crew for our 130 accounts. Lawn mowing is all this crew is responsible for. We have seperate landscape and irrigation crews.

    What size crews do you guys run for mowing? Could a two man crew handle this just as well?
  2. Josh.S

    Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,085

    2 man crews seem to be the most cost efficient... especially if your doing smaller properties..
  3. LLandscaping

    LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,016

    The size of the crew depends on the size and type of your properties. We mostly do full service: lawn mowing, fert, weed control(beds), trim bushes, etc. So for us a 3 man crew works best because two guys can mow, trim, blow while the other trims, pulls weed, etc. If you are just mowing doing properties 10,000sft and less than two people would probably work well.
  4. JJLandscapes

    JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 682

    no one can tell but you property sizes will be the biggest factor

    also do you have alot of properties and neighbors? everyhouse has there beds done? things like that i say trial and error is your best bet..When we brought a 3rd worker with us it didnt really save too much time but got us less exhuasted at the end of the day

    5000 sq ft properties around here and i think 2-3 is the most any crew should have but i see some who use 5 workers on 1 house

    RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 647

    Two guys per crew 2 crews out per day and I work by myself I just like it that way
  6. lawn_pro

    lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 284

    2 guys per crew....we usually team up on associations and larger commercial properties.
  7. NewWave

    NewWave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 93

    We have done it both ways. I was just asking. The job still got done with the two man crew but there was a whole lot of whining and saying they couldnt do it. We added a third man and have no more of that. Just trying to see where we can change things next year. Hopefully we will hit our 200 account goal and have (2) two man crews. Adding that third man takes an additional 400 dollars a week out of profit.

    We mainly do residential. Our commercial accounts are nothing huge. We try to group alot of our residential in close proximity.
  8. LawnGuyFromTheFuture

    LawnGuyFromTheFuture LawnSite Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 23

    If you get greedy and try running your guys at full throttle they are going to say SE YA and split... with that many accounts you can make a good profit with a 3 man crew. Think about "Their" daily job. Would you do it? make it acceptable and worth it and they are more likely to stick around and help you build the business. Owners that are always having to train new guys because everyone keeps quitting are bad owners.
  9. NewWave

    NewWave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 93

    Agreed. That is why we added the third man. It was either that or start a second crew. The three man crew is working for us this season. Hopefully next year things will work out as planned. Most of our accounts are grouped together. We have alot of neighbors etc. Our crew still knocks out all 130 in generally 4 days if all goes as planned(no rain, machine failure, call offs, etc). No more whining and they come to work and take care of business.
  10. livingreen1

    livingreen1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 100

    New Wave where you at in indy?

Share This Page