How many hours could a 'well cared' mower last till

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
It could last forever if its taken care of proper!
Posted via Mobile Device

cody890

LawnSite Member
I have a 1999 72" Dixie Chopper with close to 2500 hrs. on it and it still runs great. I know the first hr meter went out with over 1000 hrs but i don't remember what it was at. Then it didn't have an hr meter for a while and now the 2nd meter is at 1200 and some. It should need the motor rebuilt at some point but it's still running strong for now. And even then I'll just order the rebuild kit and have the cylinders bored over and have maybe 300-350 bucks in a rebuilt engine. I also have two newer Dixie Choppers but I just can't justify replacing that old one since I'm sure it'll keep goin for a long time still.

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
bought a 48 scag WB hydro 17hp kawisaki in 2001. ran it in the business until 2009 when my brother left the business and took that as part of the buy out. He still uses it to cut his lawn today...no hour meter so i have no idea how old...but eight or so years commercial use and another two or so residential. no major repairs, just maintenance. another one same model but '02 had to replace motor last spring

with maintenance they last

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
5000 hours is realistic for many brands of mowers if well maintained. Currently have an '04 full sized turf tracer with 4400+hours and it is on the original engine. Clutches last around 1000 hours, belts should go at least 350 hours. Those numbers will vary with the brand and operating conditions.

LawnMan19

LawnSite Gold Member
5000 hours is realistic for many brands of mowers if well maintained. Currently have an '04 full sized turf tracer with 4400+hours and it is on the original engine. Clutches last around 1000 hours, belts should go at least 350 hours. Those numbers will vary with the brand and operating conditions.
:clapping::clapping: Great work.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a 1999 72" Dixie Chopper with close to 2500 hrs. on it and it still runs great. I know the first hr meter went out with over 1000 hrs but i don't remember what it was at. Then it didn't have an hr meter for a while and now the 2nd meter is at 1200 and some. It should need the motor rebuilt at some point but it's still running strong for now. And even then I'll just order the rebuild kit and have the cylinders bored over and have maybe 300-350 bucks in a rebuilt engine. I also have two newer Dixie Choppers but I just can't justify replacing that old one since I'm sure it'll keep goin for a long time still.
If it's got a Generac, it might go 3500hrs+ before a rebuild. I've seen 4000 hrs plus on those motors.