1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours do you put on your mower per week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Cmonstihl, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Cmonstihl

Cmonstihl LawnSite Member
    from Texas

And when buying used, what’s too many hours on the machine for you to say no

2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

The grade of machine makes a big difference. A homeowner machine is junk at 300 hours. A commercial mower could have a lot of life left at 2,000 hours.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

2000 hrs is my cutoff for a hydro machine. belt drive can go much longer

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

When I was really going at it, solo, I would put nearly 25 hours per week on the main mower. This would be during the spring season with heavy growth.

The second question is harder to answer. I've seen mowers with the engines locked up at 3xx hours and others on their original engines/hydors at 5k. The last 2 used mowers purchased had less than 200 hours on them.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member
    from AR

This thread interest me as well. I'm jumping from part time to full time this year, currently 25 yards 2 weeks out of the month and 10 or so the other 2 weeks. Wondering how many hours I'll hit at full time production. Put 75 hours on my ztr and 25 hours on my 36 hydro walk last year. Only had the hydro walk for the last 3 months of the season last year.

6. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

My business specializes in nothing but smaller Urban properties. I have 2 Honda hrx-217 mowers. One is set up to bag and the other is set up with a custom side discharge on the back.

I put about 10 hours a week on the side discharge mower and maybe a couple hours on the bagger.

The mowers I use are considered Semi-Pro and only cost about $700 each, but I feel that they out perform Honda's True commercial mowers. I'll run them a couple seasons and sell them for half of retail on Craigslist.

Brucey, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

my "newest" mower is starting it's 3rd season with 486 hrs.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

20-30 hours per week

9. Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts LawnSite Member
    from MD

We average about 400 hrs a year, so probably about 15 hrs/week. This is with commercial mowers (hustler x one, toro z master). They all are in between 900-1600 hrs. I probably wouldnt buy a used one with more than 200ish hrs cause you just never know how the previous person used them. The peace of mind is worth more to me than the savings.

ARN Greencare and Cam15 like this.
  10. Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care LawnSite Member
    from AR

We meaning crews? From what ive read here is seems solo operators average between 100-200 hour annually per large unit depending on how many mowers they have to spread the load across and crew operations exceed 400 per unit.

Kinda funny looking back...I remember when I wouldnt put over 50 hours a year on on my ztr and I didnt have my hydro walk then. Now I estimate 300 hours annually between my ztr and my hydro walk.