1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

how many inches?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Jul 31, 2009.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if you guys have ever measured this before, as I just eyeball it, but I was behind a large holly bush today and I was curious. So I took out my tape measure and measured exactly how long it is from the house to the edge of an mr-16 uplight using a 60 degree 20 watt bulb. I know I adjust this as the beam narrows and the house gets taller. but overall I was curious what you guys think is the perfect distance to get the perfect wash on an 8-10 foot tall soffit using this bulb. I measured 14 inches, and I checked and I was within 1/2 inch on all the other lights just eyballing it. anyone else?

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I am probably in that range also.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

12 to 24 inches depending on the avalble mounting locations and desired effect. Sometimes landscapers plant things so close to the house here we either need to get a few approvals to move some plants or just live with it and select a different fixture.

4. jshimmin

jshimmin LawnSite Member

Dependent on the plant material I like to stay in the 10-12" range as well. But if there is a fascia board worth hitting as well, you may have to back it off a little or use multiple fixtures for the area.

If you follow Uniques LITE program though, things change based on the overhang distance.

"Spot / Flood
    Spot and Flood Lights (Up Lights) shall have a shielded housing with a hex louver installed. Fixture is to be placed so that the aiming of the lamp does not exceed 45° to the horizon. The fixtures should be placed as such that they do not produce wasteful illumination beyond the target plant or structure. The only time a spot light shall point directly up towards the sky is when it is positioned beneath a light blocking overhang or tree canopy."

A minimal over hang and a 45 degree pointing makes for a hot spot. I just did a hotel entrance that holds a quarterly dark sky meeting. It made for a few changes in the install but it ended up looking fine.

5. Pro-Scapes

I have some in the 6 inch range due to plants being planted way to close to the foundation. If you do it right it can still look fine but at that close of a distance your going to be straight up no matter what you pick for a fixture and lamp.

6. David Gretzmier

I know I am closer when those pesky bushes that looked great 8 years ago now touch the house. even when trimmed back 8 inches off the house, it still looks like they are on fire when the home is lit.

7. Pro-Scapes

Tilt your fixture back a bit more in that scenario and or try lenses. Instead of a bullet with a 20w 60 lamp try a wash with a bi pin type... i like the mr lamps better too but sometimes it just doesnt work out right.

8. David Gretzmier

man, when I switch from a 20watt 60 degree to a 20 watt bi-pin, it looks like a 5 watt bulb. I only use that on really low light wash situations. to uplight a house, I really need a reflector.

9. Pro-Scapes

Are you putting 20w bi pins into a bullet ? Most of the wash lights I use come with a reflector and i remove it if low light is needed.

I have had situations on light colored houses with white soffits where a 10w bi pin with reflector was a tad on the bright side.