how many K per round for one guy

WildLake

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd like to know what a comfortable max square footage per round would be for a solo with a ride-on. I do mostly 30 -90K properties. I have read that 4,000,000 sf is at the upper end for each round. I currently do around 700,000sf and feel like I could do 10 times more each round. Am I way off?

Thanks

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I'd like to know what a comfortable max square footage per round would be for a solo with a ride-on. I do mostly 30 -90K properties. I have read that 4,000,000 sf is at the upper end for each round. I currently do around 700,000sf and feel like I could do 10 times more each round. Am I way off?

Thanks
I that is your average lawn and they are fairly close together your production will be thru the roof. Our average is much smaller than yours and we do at least that per man per truck...

OP
WildLake

WildLake

LawnSite Senior Member
I that is your average lawn and they are fairly close together your production will be thru the roof. Our average is much smaller than yours and we do at least that per man per truck...
You can do the 4,000,000 per truck, per round?
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
That is a high number for sqfeet in 5 weeks. But with power spreader, big lawns and tight routes it is doable. Do you have to give estimates and do resprays and sales calls?

OP
WildLake

WildLake

LawnSite Senior Member
That is a high number for sqfeet in 5 weeks. But with power spreader, big lawns and tight routes it is doable. Do you have to give estimates and do resprays and sales calls?
Which number is high? The 4,000,000?
Most of my work consists of commercial full service maintenance and roughly 40, 1-3ac residential accounts. Most of what we treat, we also perform weekly service to so service calls are non-existent. I actually think I can do my 700K in 3 straight days if I wanted to but, with all of our other work I usually end up spreading it out. Thats why I feel like 4m would be easy to complete in 5 or 6 weeks if I had that much to do. I guess having multiple 80K+ is why my productions seems high compared to others. Thats what Im trying to figure out.

OP
WildLake

WildLake

LawnSite Senior Member
I have one tech that uses permagreen for half the round during winter apps. He does 4.5 million sq ft in 5 weeks. So yeah 4 mill sq ft is a lot of work.
What do you mean half the round? Does he push the other half? If so, YEAH 4.5 is a lot. I use the larger Ground Logic XC and rarely have to push anything. What size properties on avg, smaller?

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
solo operator here, been doing it since 1986. Currently do 4m k per round, however my rounds are 6 weeks. People who know me will confirm I don't work too hard either. I am NOT a workaholic I spend alot of time with my wife and kids, and I manage to ride my motorcycles about 18,000 mile a year, every year!

The biggest trick of the trade is being efficient during your day. Watch how you grow too..very important. I currently have 380 customers, almost 2/3'ds of them are in a three town radius...and I live in one of those towns. 85% of my customer base is prepaid, so very little time is needed for billing and accounts receivables.

I will say the zspray has increased my productivity on my larger lawns, one is a soccer complex that would take me almost a full day on my PG's now takes me only a few hrs. Im able to do all my residential that I have in that area which saves me a full day to drive back to that town.

So yeah, I think 4m is doable, however you gotta have a tight customer base and be efficient

OP
WildLake

WildLake

LawnSite Senior Member
Cool, So it sounds like 4 mil is the number. I think as I go forward that I won't be so fortunate to pickup so many large properties so close together and my productivity will go down as I grow. Thanks guys, this is actually helpful for pricing as well. I feel like I can do really well at 4 mil per round but thought I could do much more sf which is likely too good to be true. Thanks again.

WestGaPineStraw

LawnSite Senior Member
What do you mean half the round? Does he push the other half? If so, YEAH 4.5 is a lot. I use the larger Ground Logic XC and rarely have to push anything. What size properties on avg, smaller?
Dragging a hose would be half. Average is around 10k sq ft, from 2k to 180k. It's not possible to use a ride on at some of our properties. Faster to pull a hose.