How many Lawns can you comfortably mow in a day Solo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawntkd, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Lawntkd

Lawntkd LawnSite Member

This is my first year full time. I'm thinking about setting a cap at 10 as far as a regular schedule. I think that's doable, maybe some of you do more?

The parameters of this question is a 36-inch walk behind with sulky and mowing regular size Suburban homes. The biggest yards being a regular corner lot. Also not wanting to work more than 8 hours on a regular basis.

2. honda55

honda55 LawnSite Member

Impossible to say without size and all properties are different.

I have a helper or 2 with me now, but back when I was solo, I managed 21 one day during a catch up (Smaller development 1/4 acre to a 1/3) and in clusters. Should comfortable be able to do a regular development lawn in 30 min, so a cluster or 2 and you should be at 13-16 a day pretty easy

As far as only 8 hours, might as well work an office job.... If there's money out there need to make it during the season while you can. Rest in off season.

Not saying kill yourself working 15 hours a day, but 10-11 won't kill you.

Marine03112, biodale, ltdlawn and 2 others like this.
  3. Lawntkd

Lawntkd LawnSite Member

Yeah, 8hrs is what I'm thinking now but, when it really hits its not like I'm going to leave money on the table.. We'll see what happens. But an office job? $10-11 an hour? No thanks.Even at $14 an hour...no thanks.

I've always worked for myself anyways.

4. Hill Lawn Care

Hill Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a similar cap of 10. Right now I'm at 8 lawns 3 days a week. It's not bad as they are very close together. You have to account for speed and things like rain or illness. I would say solo, max 15-16. Otherwise you'll kill yourself and If you get rained out you'll have 40+ the next day.

voslawn and johnfaria68 like this.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

My typical lawn avg size 10k sq ft. If I run thru a doz myself a day I think that's mighty fine, 10 is decent.

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I do 10-12 most days but I'm doing smaller city lots.

7. Lawntkd

Lawntkd LawnSite Member

Hmmm. Maybe 12 then. All mine are regular suburban lots.All the same size except the corners. I service 3 suburban areas that blend together in like 10 miles.

8. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

There are too many variables for a 1-size-fits-all answer, but Honda55 is right on target. Unless you're using a 21" push mower you should be averaging 2 lawns/hr solo. I'm in the Midwest and our season is slow in March, 100 mph April-June, then slows down a little in July August before picking up just a little most years, then tapers off in November. If you won't work for $14/hr for someone else it means you expect a decent living. And if you want to make a decent living in this line of work, solo, you'll be working a helluva lot more than 8 hours a day during the spring months.

9. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

thats a tough question to answer... I have one property I mow...not getting off the mower to trim is straight 9 hrs....trimming is another 1 hr or more....another property is 3 hrs straight no trimming....then I go into the city and can knock out 8 lawns in 1 1/2 hours and trimming is another 1/2 hour. Number of lawns isnt important if you are making the money you need per hour...I've had days where I spent more time traveling than mowing....its all what you are comfortable with...sure if the client I mow 9+ hours for drops me I need to find new accounts to make up the loss, doesnt mean I have to go find one large property of 9 new clients...I just have to find 9 hrs of work at the same rate of pay...

ltdlawn and Lawntkd like this.
  10. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Very true like most of mine normal is 2-2.5 acres+ big as I go is 5 acres here I do work solo 5 acres on this land unless homeowners have keep it up is pretty much trash yard. Sticks, nuts, limbs everywhere no one pays for cleanups either low income area and others want them done for pennies on the dollar.

It's pretty insane how much it has flipped from what it was last year to this year not been great for most people and constant crazy weather has been a butt kicker working around, warm, rain, cold just had 2 freezes this weekend been going since March 1st

I can if needed go past 15 acres on this rough mountain land that's a pretty brutal days work in the residential properties.