How many lawns can you cut in one day ??

LawnTamer

LawnSite Gold Member
It all depends on equipment, routing and average size. My heaviest day on my route was Thursday. I did 27 lawns that day, that was with a 48" Toro T2 walk-behind and a sulky. These were nearly all residential accounts, mostly 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots, 2 of them were 1 acre props, but with enough beds that I was only cutting 12,000 sq feet.
If I had a helper, we could get 34 or even 35 in a day.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
My 4 man crew averages right at 150 lawns a week when we are in full part of the season largest is around half an acre, most in the quarter to third (not turf sq ft but whole lot footprint). We do areas where it may take a 30 min drive to get to area A, then we do a handful or two there, then maybe a 20 min drive to get to area B etc etc. 36 stander, 34 zero and a couple 21s when needed. Around 2/3s are every other week (roll eyes), the rest weekly.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
My 4 man crew averages right at 150 lawns a week when we are in full part of the season largest is around half an acre, most in the quarter to third (not turf sq ft but whole lot footprint). We do areas where it may take a 30 min drive to get to area A, then we do a handful or two there, then maybe a 20 min drive to get to area B etc etc. 36 stander, 34 zero and a couple 21s when needed. Around 2/3s are every other week (roll eyes), the rest weekly.
I cut a lot of lawns. Sir. That’s absolutely my customer base also. 8000-15000 sq/ft properties. I maxed at 147ish a week from mid July to 2nd week in September solo. Lay those bums off brother.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
I hate this old question. It’s not how many you can mow - it’s how much $ can you make per man hour. I’m always pushing to improve my hourly $ income - that’s the important # regardless of how many lawns.
I like what you’re saying. However volume is a critical factor. As you increase price on people tge bell curve starts its descent. Because; although you do great work cutting lawns let’s face it an idiot can cut lawns. So they will see that 160$ bill per month and someone struggling to pay bills comes in at 30$ /cut. You’re gone. So how do we make more money strictly cutting yards? Condensing runs is a big pay cut initially for those of you traveling. But eddm accomplishes new yards in a fairly quick fashion. Second part of this is trimming. So as we read mowers are good for 14mph. Truth of the matter is usually 8mph leaves a good cut. Judging from my sticks about 3/4s gap between steel and my sticks (652r). That means that the mower has constraints and a fixed production speed. Therefore trimming, trimming route, truck setup, and blow job haha are the money makers. I’m strictly talking mowing. Adding people coupled with workman’s comp insurance if you’re legit will show a greater gross but not the same man hour pay when looking at bottom line figures.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
I've toyed with the idea of having a blade stick edger and require my guys to use it for edging. When I mentioned that a while ago they said they like the string and really don't want to use a blade and have to then go get a string trimmer to trim. I used to use one ages ago when solo and the one thing I did like about it was the consistency but also having the weight on the wheel at least imo meant less fatigue over time which in turn means toward the end of the day I could go faster edging. But factor in having to get out another piece of equip I don't know if it would be faster or not. All of my current guys are very good with the string trimmers for edging and are pretty quick. Usually its hard to tell they were not using a blade as far as how straight the lines are.