Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Discussion starter · #43 ·
Gas mileage would be no worse than my 6.0

And from what everybody is saying, due to the price difference in diesel and all that it works out to be the same to run a gas truck versus a diesel..

My dad bought 2 new gmc cab and chassis in a 1994. one with a 454 and one with the 6.5. Never had any problems with the 454 other than brakes
Posted via Mobile Device

And from what everybody is saying, due to the price difference in diesel and all that it works out to be the same to run a gas truck versus a diesel..

Junior I live 45 minutes away from cola and there's not that much difference in diesel from gas prices and I just bought a 6.0 ford with no problems. You can find them for great deals. Just don't be scared to throw alittle money at them if they aren't bulletproofed. My cousin has one that had to have over 10 grand put in it with less than 50k on it and mine has 185k and never a problem. It's all about maintenance on these trucks.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I was on 95 going towards North Carolina Thursday I think it was..and had to pay 4.13 for diesel. I might've been getting 18mpg but still, damn..
Posted via Mobile Device

I was on 95 going towards North Carolina Thursday I think it was..and had to pay 4.13 for diesel. I might've been getting 18mpg but still, damn..
Posted via Mobile Device
ill take the 18-20 in my truck all day over the 14 I was getting with a gas truck. Gas was like 3.50 on hwy 25 today in North Augusta on my way home from work, they didn't have diesel on the board but off road was like 3.60.

I didn't really think about using a 450/550 dump like that..

Started having some serious motor problems out of my 6.0.. So its completely removed from pulling any trailers. Priced a used motor from a salvage yard at $1250.

So I've settled on a 2500/3500 4wd diesel for now. That gives me another daily driver and something to move my equipment and dump trailer with. Just gotta find the right one..
Posted via Mobile Device
So basically you just want to get a diesel pickup truck? I don't see how keeping the truck you have with a bad motor and getting another pickup will further your business? I have to agree with Impact here.

You would be better off paying for your new 6.0 and a weeks rental car..my 2cents

Discussion starter · #50 ·
I needed a second truck anyways..

Pulled the trigger on a 1995 F350 srw reg cab long bed today.. 4wd with a 7.3 only 137,000. Has power Windows, locks, and mirrors.

Got a heck of a deal..
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice grab. I would be more worried that a older truck doesn't have the correct amount of miles/hours on it for its age. Sitting to long and not running will destory a engine just as fast as to many miles.

My dad bought 2 new gmc cab and chassis in a 1994. one with a 454 and one with the 6.5. Never had any problems with the 454 other than brakes
Posted via Mobile Device
Back in that time 6.5's where very misunderstood and almost always misdiagonised. I have a 98 with a 6.5, and its been running strong with 191K on it. Its got its PMD relocation kit, a new balancer 2 years ago, and updated oil lines. Is it a diesel powerhouse, NO!, the 7.3 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins in that time frame where a better power horse engine. But I'm happy with the lack of power to get around 18mpg empty on the freeway, vs my old 5.9 dodge gasser and I was lucky to get 10mpg (plus I was burning more coolent and oil than gas in it by the time I sold it). The other great thing about the 6.5L even though its old, GM has to keep supplying parts stock for it, thanks to they US Military as its a 6.5 powering the last generation of HUMMV's. Surplus engines are extremly cheap.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
The title he had said the odometer read 101,000 when he bought it in 2004 from his brother.. 9 years and only 36,000 miles. I'll do almost that many just this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.