Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to find out how many new install you guys are averaging per year?
And how big are your irrigation crews?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
2 per week for 10 months...

1 - 2 per week for the other two months

2-3 men on install crew......1 being foreman who lays out system, installs timer/backflow....1 being semi-foreman'ish.....helps lay out system...installs manifolds (s)....one being labor

·
Registered
324 Posts
Average about 3 installs a week during the production season (March to approx. November). Other two days is mostly spent on renovations and sprinkler repairs. Have 3 members on the install crew and 1 to 2 full time sprinkler techs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hahaha...funny you should mention Ken Wells. The company I work for bought out his company, Heartland Irrigation. He sure had a lot of clients I can say that. I never met the guy, but all the clients say they liked him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We Did 89 Residential systems this year., with around 20 being in the 1.5 to 2 acre range.
We have a 4 man install crew and usually add a few more when school is out in the summer

·
Registered
659 Posts
we installed about 150 residentials systems so far. On the commerical side we did 8 large irrigation systems and 15 smaller commerical systems. The largest system we did, haverstraw bay park, totaled close to $50k. i posted many pics of this system on this site...do y'all remember???

brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got a job as a foreman doing irrigation and we are averaging 3 to 3.5 house per day. They crew consist of 3 to 4 people a foreman doing layout, time clock, rain sensor and manifold. some of these house have 1/2 to 1/3 acre lots.
Pokemon

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I got a job as a foreman doing irrigation and we are averaging 3 to 3.5 house per day.
What kind of systems are these? Little 2 and 3 zone systems for 4500 sq. ft. lots? And there's no landscape there and just soft dirt? How far do your lines have to be underground? Do you actually take time to design each system properly with head-to-head coverage, figuring out working pressure and flow rates of the system, adjusting accordingly, separate turf and shrub zones, etc? I just don't see how a 3 or even 4 man crew can install 3 or more complete, well thought out systems each day. That's just crazy. Even on our best day with a crack crew of 2 experienced irrigation guys and a foreman, we did a 2 zone system start to finish. Of course there was a landscape already installed. Still, that's just nuts. How can you possibly pull that off and still be giving a quality product?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
He did say "cookie cutter homes", but I would think 3 or 4 per week would be good. Lets see... three identical homes side by side, same irrigation plan, two zones, all parts on site, one guy on the trencher, another on the controller and wiring, and a heard of turtles laying out pipe. Yah, it could be done, and I'm envious.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi jimlewis

Let me explain sometimes we work in a subdivision let say about over five hundred homes some of these homes we use reclaimed water which needs no clock or sensors because they are centrally controlled one four inch diameter pipe and valve would supply four houses with water while other houses need every thing.

First, I would locate the property boundary if there are no other houses on the sides and run a line so I would know where to place my sprinkler heads.

Second, I would lay out the system starting off by the most difficult area to water usually by the front door and walk area.

Third, the other guys would start locating the sewer lines by using a trenching shovel and dig down far enough so the trenching guy would know the direction and depth of the sewer lines.

Sometimes the phone lines , gas lines and power lines would be marked with flags by a locating service and other times we just guess where they are because we have done so many of them.

Forth, by the time I am done placing flags for the heads the trencher is unloaded. I would count all the flags for spray heads and divide by 13 because so no more than 13 heads per zone from experience. Then I add up all the rotor zones separately if any and divide by six and you guess it because no more than six rotors per zone.

Fifth, as one guy start trenching the others would grab a trenching shovel and fallow behind the trencher cleaning out the bottom of the trench because all the pipes lay flat at the bottom of the trench about 8-12 inches deep depending on the amount of zones and pipes in the trench.

Sixth, by the time the trencher is almost done I start assembling the heads we use mostly rain-bird heads and a few Toro Heads bubbler's we use Unisprays, 3500 and 5006 Rotors PRS and non PRS heads etc. when the trencher is done we just take it to the next lot over.

Seven, the guys all have a parts bucket or bin looks like a plastic tote. each person would start on a zone or a color flag and start piping back-wards to the pit. The first three spray heads on a (1/2) half inch pipe. The next two heads on a three quarter inch line (3/4) then the rest on a one (1) inch line all the way back to the pit.

I would start to assemble the manifold with valves if any on a reclaim none is needed. When the manifold is completed I would start on the clock, sensor and wires if needed. Next, when all the piping is completed we would start to back fill all the trenches and rake out the area of the trench so you can not tell the soil has been disturbed and ready for the sod.
payup :angel: :D

We usually punch in on or before 06:45 am and work until dark around 6:08 PM EST usually by lunch we have completed 1 to 1.5 to 2 houses depending on size of lots. The houses set back are any from 7- 80 feet depending on the subdivision.

If you have any more questions or need some clarification just let me know or post I usually check several time monthly..

Dennis

·
Registered
98 Posts
How many zones? Do you have a design before you begin or do you just make sure every area is just getting wet? Front yard and back yard too?

Hi Jim Lewis,

The Smaller lots usually have 3 to 4 zones the mid size lots 4 to 6 zones etc. I always make sure to have head to head coverage because of wind and other variables.

We just do not slap some pipes in the ground a foot deep and move on! We put some though into it.

We work closely with the Landscaping Crew and we have a Landscape plan with a diagram of where the plant materials will be located the landscape plan usually have from 1 gallon to 45 gallon materials and where they will be planted in addition to the Plot plan which show the lay out of the property.

The typical lot with a 10 foot set back on the sides and 50 to 100 ft front and back usually get 40 - 50 one gallon materials 35+ three (3) gallon materials a few 4 to 6 inch caliper trees 5 or 6 Washingtonian palms etc. depending on what the home owner wants the basic package or upgraded.

I also work in sud-divisions with $500,000 + homes several times per week these homes typically get 6 to 10 zones on those days my crew of 3 to 4 guys usually complete 1.5 to 2 homes because the lots are bigger. That is all for now I hope I answered your question if not just post again.

Dennis
payup payup :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.