• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

how many of you switched from a perm a green to z spray?

A

anthony

how many of you switched from a perm-a-green to a z spray?
ant

cemars

LawnSite Senior Member
Since no one has posted I'll put my 2 cents worth in. I have not "switched" per se but do own both, 2 PG's and on full size Z-spray (40 gal). They both beat pulling a hose but are 2 different beast. The PG is very manuverable, smaller and lighter than the Z-spray, easier to get over curbs, under low branches, through tight spots and 3 grand less. The Z-spray however kicks the PG's butts in large wide open areas. This is for several reasons: 1.) the Z-spray will treat more than twice the area of a PG between refills and is faster both at applying and at getting back to the truck to refill. In addition, I love the 50ft spray hose that comes standard with the Z vs. the $2.00 spray bottle that comes with the PG. Which one is best for you depends on your scope of work. The Z-spray Junior is a closer comparison to the PG, for us we needed the larger Z-spray as we have a number of 30-50 acre properties. The PG does have its glitches, but support has always been outstanding in my experience.

turfsurfer

LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you Cemars, finally an opinion that didn't totally blast the PG. I'm on the verge of getting one and have been asking for objective opinions on other posts. I have a few 1-5 acre sites but most are in the 8-15,000 range with about 15-20 in the 4-8,000 range. Only treating about 1.5 mil sq ft now but still growing this side of business as I transition away from mowing. Seems like the PG might be more suited to my situation, what do you think? Only thing that nags me a little is all the posts describing switching from PG to z-spray, not the other way around. What have been your mechanical glitches? Have heard alot of maintenance complaints on different posts but no specifics.

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
Turfsurfer,

If you read the ads for both p-g or zspray's you gonna hear only the good stuff about them,

You say blast the pg, but in my case I being truthfull in what I feel about the machine, most are facts,some are just IMO.

My feeling if someone is making a product that is no where as good as they " market" it to be then its fair game to point out the problems. Some may think its sour grapes or blasting

I think its just being honest

turfsurfer

LawnSite Senior Member
James, wasn't getting on you, and I agree on posting your opinions. Just wasn't too encouraged on all I had been reading on the PG. In the end I think their warranty will give it the chance to shine or be returned. At this point, I can tell you I would not be buying it if not for that money back guarantee.

DUSTYCEDAR

LawnSite Fanatic
the thing i like about the PG unit is it is light if i get it stuck i can manhandel it out of the spot u can literally roll it over to move it
u will not move the z-spray that easy
i have a pg and am going to buy a z-spray soon
i feel with that i will still use both machines for dif property's

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
Turf, I didnt mean it that way, I got was you where saying,

Dusty, your right,both machines have there place, and mabye if your a bigger company you should have both machines.

Until i desgin my own and market it to you guys :)

DUSTYCEDAR

LawnSite Fanatic
i have some ideas ill share with u over lunch someday
my sprayer comes with a built in gps and a shotgun

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
good one dusty, If you ever find yourself in the great commonwealth, give me a call well do lunch, Maybe we can get TSM to buy.