Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am currently running a scag TT 61" and have someone running a Stihl double handle 250 trimmer. In an 8 hour day how many yards should i logically be able to cut. I have been disappointed that i can only do about 11-12. Each yard is roughly .5 acres to 1 acre. This is if we do a great job with new blades and pay attention to every detail. It seems my old worker was much more productive even though he was not as thorough. We could do at least 16 in a day. Any help provided will be much appreciated.

Jonathan Sheehan

P.S. What should i be grossing in a 8 hour day. Thank you all.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Lot size is just part of the equation to consider when answering your post. Other factors include, but are not limited to terrain, obsticles, amount of edging/trimming, bagging, frequency of cuts, customer expectations, and, as you said, level of professionalism. Seems to me that 11-12 in a day is okay.

As far as how much you should be grossing, IMO at least 300-400 per day.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that makes me feel much better because we have been turning about 500 per day. Not to great when you pull out 240 dollars of labor just for the day....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I try to pull atleast $525 a day but I really want $700 per day gross. This is on 1/4 acre lots with a 36" stander RH and a 21" that is only used 6 times a week. 2 man crew. I pay out $11 per yard in commision. $6 for driver and $5 for helper.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Lot size and distance between lawns is a big factor. Keeping boths guys productive is also key. Make sure the mowing is done in the front first, so that when the trimmer is finished, blowing can start as soon as the trimmer is put away. No leaning should be tolerated. If one guy is done he could refuel equipment, clean or repair equipment, detail the property or begin the next property is it is close.

Solo 500-600 , with a two person crew 800-900 would be a good goal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well to give you an idea, between myself and my co-worker we're able to do one set of yards we have, which is 23 yards in a row (basically a whole subdivision), before or at 2PM if we start at 8:30am (this does not include trimming any shrubbery, on the days we trim the shrubs we're lucky to get done before 4). They're not HUGE yards but they're not small either. We start by doing all the outlining first, then after that's done between two people (myself and coworker) with line trimmers, one person gets on our Toro 48" Z-Turn and the other straps on a blower and we start at one end and work our way down the line. One cuts, the other follows closely behind cleaning up. We're making at least 1050 that is evenly split between myself and my coworker, so 50/50. We generally like to go do one or two of our larger yards (over 1 acre) after we go eat lunch at 2. Sometimes if it's particularly hot that day it make take us until 3 to finish in which case we eat at 1:30. When we do these yards the only break we take is for lunch. It's tough but it's worth it. It's nice to be able to knock off at 3 or 4 instead of 5 or 6 (time wise).

That of course is an exception. We started in this subdivision with only two yards (customers from somewhere else) and gradually other people started asking to have their yards cut at the same time. On some days we drive over 75miles (in total) and struggle to do 15 smaller yards that are scattered out across town. Those days are not NEARLY as profitable, especially with the current fuel costs. The key is to get a bunch of small to mid-sized yards in one area and do them all at once.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The key is to get a bunch of small to mid-sized yards in one area and do them all at once.
bingo

I run solo and can get anywhere from 20-25 on my short routes, and 15-17 on my longer routes. Since the longest route I have is 15 miles, I like to group small and large properties on separate routes (days). I don't have a large coverage area so this is not a problem for me.

Keep routes as tight as possible and you will see an increase in production. I would think that what 11-12 per day with 2 people is a bit low. Gross on 8 hr day for me should not be lower than $500 (for only me).

476 Posts
That's a question that can never be answered. There are way to many factors to consider. What you have to do is sit down and look at your accounts. Get them into daily groups where you can be more efficient. Have a figure in mind that you want to gross each day. Than start working on the puzzle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am sure every one does this but make it so you dont drive over 10 miles aday in the truck once the first job starts.. I have my guy on the mower and i take the trim and detail work, I am faster at it and then if the customer comes out to talk the mower doesnt stop running. That is a big deal around by me the customers think they need to tell me each week what went on in there life.. If i was on the mower the trimmer would be out of work, but because i am trimming i can have alittle time to stop and talk and see if they need anything else done.... as for diving each week i start at the outer limits of my area and during the week get closer to home, less drive time to the bar on fridays....LOL... Also i never answer my phone while i am at a job, only in the truck or not working (Lunch and break and driving) that is why you have voice mail.... i make about $850 to $900 aday 2 guys 8hours and a lunch/break...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sure every one does this but make it so you dont drive over 10 miles aday in the truck once the first job starts.. I have my guy on the mower and i take the trim and detail work, I am faster at it and then if the customer comes out to talk the mower doesnt stop running. That is a big deal around by me the customers think they need to tell me each week what went on in there life.. If i was on the mower the trimmer would be out of work, but because i am trimming i can have alittle time to stop and talk and see if they need anything else done.... as for diving each week i start at the outer limits of my area and during the week get closer to home, less drive time to the bar on fridays....LOL... Also i never answer my phone while i am at a job, only in the truck or not working (Lunch and break and driving) that is why you have voice mail.... i make about $850 to $900 aday 2 guys 8hours and a lunch/break...
See. I am faster doing all of the detail work too. But she is a bit slower on the mower. So either way i come out the same. It is a perfection thing with her.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
And I thought 30 miles was good from shop and back to shop. I really need to tighten up my route.

·
Registered
359 Posts
And I thought 30 miles was good from shop and back to shop. I really need to tighten up my route.
I only figure 10 miles aday for 5 days thats 50 miles.. I havent traveled farther then that in a long time.....

And i love that you say "HER" is it your wife? I have tried the "HER" not wife employee before and even though i would never, wife still has issues...LOL She can be alittle slower, i have no problem with that since women are generally more detailed then men IMO... but if it is alot slower then i would have a talk. I like talking to my customers even though i say i dont care. I generally get another job/lead from them if they like me. If i had my guy over there he would have to stop me and ask prices anyway. This way i get it done and work is still being completed..

To the guy that goes 50/50 how does that work? who pays for the equipment/fuel/repairs/ect.???????? I myself would never do it that way, it just seems like alot of math when bills come due... I pay this much you owe me this much kind of thing.. I would do it 70/30 and pay for every thing out of my 70 percent.... Again Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
335 Posts
We only have 1 crew that is 2 man, they do strictly residentials with 21" mowers & we gross $800.00 per day minimum. That includes bagging on all properties. I spend a lot of time on scheduling & do not accept new accounts unless they are within 2 miles of a current property. I learned a long time ago that windshield time will kill you if you're not careful.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Number of lawns matters much less that your gross per day. Solo I can do 400-500 a day. I can double that using an experienced helper that I know. The problem is he's a fast as me, but not as thorough. I pay my guy $9 per hour, why in the world would you pay $15 per hour for lawn help?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.