1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

how manyaccounts in the off season?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mikefromny, Dec 10, 2005.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

how many accounts do u guys shoot for before the start of the 2006 season? ?10?15?20?25?30?35? and how many do you usually get and how much advertising /methods do u put behind it?

2. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Shoot for them all and settle for what we get. Always trying to get more due to customer relocations.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No set number since all new business is generated by referral. We have never advertised in 12 years one bit.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've downsized my maintenance route in the last year, I sold 35-40 this past season, and gained 3. In years past, I would gain 10-12 new clients per year. I never really set a number, like Rodfather, I really don't advertise except for truck/trailer.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Imlooking to gain 42 to be exact, I have about 60 now, I expect to lose 10 over the winter, just planing to do some heavy advertising sarting in febuary.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think I have already picked up about 5 new lawns for next year.I would like to add a total of 40-60 new accounts for next year.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Same here..........

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Goal is to pick up 40 accounts in the spring for me. I'm advertising in a couple of large local church bulletins, local paper, and going to be sending out flyers or direct mailings.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would think the size of the accounts would matter more than just the number. We picked up a 82 acre, 3 location school district last Spring. After getting that, I really wasn't much interested in getting any more work for the year. And I would imagine most members here would feel the same (whether or not they could even accept something) that big.

10. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like most of the repondants are referring to mowing accounts. I am assuming that is what the poster was talking about as well. I am an applications company. I have already added 35 for next year and am shooting for 300 new accounts before april 1st.