How much are you paying for insurance on your work truck?

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
State Year of vehicle as well.

1994 K1500 - $68 a month. It includes the basics. Just wondering what the average you people are spending.

Last edited:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
2 Trucks. 1999 Silverado 1500 4x4....100/300k liability. 2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4....100/300k full coverage. Both covered for plowing. Total for both $1125. Erie Insurance

Darryl G

Inactive
2003 Silverado and I have no idea...it's all lumped in with my GL policy. I'm sure it's listed seperately but I don't have it in front of me.

But I thought this might be a good time to remind people who are using their personal vehicles for work that if they have a claim while working, it will likely be denied unless they have a rider on their policy for work use of their vehicle. This actually happened to me years ago when I was working for someone else and was involved in an accident on the job.

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a few trucks insured so I have I don't know what I pay for any one perticular truck. But as far as the rates go there are way to many variables to consider so posting ones payment does not give anyone in any other area any type of reference. Things like vehicle value, types of vehicle, size of vehicle, amount of coverage, deductable, state/city where stored, owners driving record, previous insurance claims, agent markup, are just a few of the variables that greatly influence the cost of insurance.

But like mentioned above, many people do not know the importance of importance of proper business insurance. I posted a story on here in the past about a guy I know who got in an accident infront of a Lexus dealership and ended up destroying a couple hundred thousand dollars in cars. Even though the accident was caused by the other driver, he was found liable because he was driving an improperly insured/registered vehicle because he did not have a commercial auto policy. The suit went to court and then the IRS and MA department of revenues got involved. Him and his wife ended up losing just about everything and ended up on probation for tax fraud/evasion for some stupid accounting mistakes.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Good point about being sure to have a commercial policy. Commercial policies often require pre-approval for someone to drive the vehicle also. Many family members think I'm making that up when they ask to borrow a truck! I even had to fill out the form for my wife to drive the trucks.

Darryl G

Inactive
Yeah, that's the other thing...what are your coverages? A lot of people just go with the minimum required by their state. I just reviewed by personal auto policy and my property damage coverage was really low, something like $20k. Damage can add up pretty quickly in newer cars...I upgraded to $100k which still could be insufficient. I also have significant assets to protect so I have my liability coverages up there as well.

It's a good idea to have a live agent review your policies periodically and see if they're really what they should be. I was under the impression that my trailer would be covered in an accident since it's being towed by my truck...well the liability is but not the damage to the trailer, so now I have it listed seperately. Most of these little add-ons don't cost much.

OP
soloscaperman

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
True didn't think about driving record. I have a clean record except an unsafe start in my Camaro 4-5 years ago. The car some how fish tailed on a turn :) . I was looking at a newer truck and I just can't justify $300-$600 unless I had more then 50+ accounts. Just seeing what other competitors are paying for their trucks insurance.

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
My personal truck was 650 a year when I bought it in 2004. I haven't had a claim in twenty-five years and I get a 40 percent safe driving discount. Guess what I pay now?

$1740.00 a year with a 40 percent safe driving discount. Gas was $5.50 a gallon here all year too.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, that's the other thing...what are your coverages? A lot of people just go with the minimum required by their state. I just reviewed by personal auto policy and my property damage coverage was really low, something like $20k. Damage can add up pretty quickly in newer cars...I upgraded to $100k which still could be insufficient. I also have significant assets to protect so I have my liability coverages up there as well.

It's a good idea to have a live agent review your policies periodically and see if they're really what they should be. I was under the impression that my trailer would be covered in an accident since it's being towed by my truck...well the liability is but not the damage to the trailer, so now I have it listed seperately. Most of these little add-ons don't cost much.
If you plow, same goes as a trailer. Liability will be covered, but not the plow if you don't cover it. I have equipment coverage, and that will cover a plow loss in a crash or theft. Like said, so many possibilities you need to speak to your agent. Hopefully this thread may save someone an unpleasant surprise if it comes to a claim.