How much can I take off the top of these?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
I got a customer that wants a few hedge type trees topped and trimmed up.

I always forget the name of these things, but they're very abundant where I live in the Pacific Northwest. I've trimmed them many times, but my customer is talking about cutting these down to 10 ft. Right now they're at about 14-15ft.

Am I in danger of killing these things if I take this much off the top of them? Will it be too much shock to cut 4ft off of them while also shaping them?

I do a lot of Hedges, but I rarely
20190809_153042.jpg
20190809_153055.jpg
mess with stuff much taller than 10 ft.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Sure are nice but topping will ruin looks.
Depends , those would look great if trained , sheared and including thinning as a formal hedge. In that case you would never see the cuts from the ground if done right. Taking pyramid arbs that where left natural their whole life and then trying to make something out of them, Ya your right.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
I haven't but did anyone ever try topping & taping a new leader on arborvitaes? This is what topping and taping looks like & a brief description from Fine Gardening.

With conifers, select the most vigorous lateral branch below the nub of the former leader and simply bend it up. Using masking tape, attach the bent lateral branch to the main stem of the tree. Masking tape is effective because it eventually breaks down, loses its adhesiveness, and drops away without girdling the newly trained leader.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I haven't but did anyone ever try topping & taping a new leader on arborvitaes? This is what topping and taping looks like & a brief description from Fine Gardening.

With conifers, select the most vigorous lateral branch below the nub of the former leader and simply bend it up. Using masking tape, attach the bent lateral branch to the main stem of the tree. Masking tape is effective because it eventually breaks down, loses its adhesiveness, and drops away without girdling the newly trained leader.
Ive done a few arborvitaes they usually have multiple trunks that splay in snow loads usually I tie them together for a pointed tree

In coldbeers case depends if customer wants a square hedge or individual trees