1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much can this truck pull?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by stuvecorp, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the hunt for a small truck for exactly the same reasons. I already own the tandem but need another truck for the smaller jobs. I can't believe how low the 550's tow rating is!? Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the max payload?

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I will clarify that- I just feel behind the 550 the limit was pulling a Takeuchi 153 which was just under 13,000 pounds plus the trailer. Not sure what the 'official' rating is?

3. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be tempted to stick with the 550 and then go for the tandem. What motor is in the 550? Have you done a fuel consumption/maintenance comparison between the two?
    Aside from my tandem, I have an '01 F350 DRW (which is too small) with the old 7.3 because I fear the newer motors. My next go around I'm fairly certain I will be switching to a cabover for a small truck as they are generally: well built, maneuverable, fuel efficient, and dead easy to work on.

4. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Local guy here pulls a 120 sized hoe with a dt 466 single axle, has done for years legally.
    I have the same truck and can load a tak 230 track loader and my 161 on ot and it tows great on the flay but is a dog in the hills, always gets there though...

5. Hollowellreid

Hollowellreid LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed- Single axle could probably tow a 80 size + excavator without trouble.

We will move a TK TL130 and a Deere 35D on a tandem axle deckover that weighs 5k. Slow sometimes but not an issue.

Do you know what spec DT466 it is? Our smaller truck is a 190hp 466 that is turned up. Pretty strong truck for what it is.

6. stuvecorp

Mine has the 6.0 diesel and overall not complaining how it towed the TK. It's just if I move up and get the 75 size with a deckover trailer, I don't think that would be safe or good for the 550. From what I could find the fuel mileage would be very close. I also would like to be able to have an additional 6,000 pounds of carrying capacity.

Those cabovers really don't have a towing capacity?

Fortunately it's not hilly here. I also remember guys use to haul their TLB's around with single axles(and alot were gas with 5&2...).

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

These guys have me second guessing the lo pro with the 444. But every one I've found with the 466 is a manual
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

I have an F 750 with a c-7 Cat and a 6 speed tranny. it's a 33.500 gvwr and I have it licensed for 45k. I can load 9 tons and be legal and can pull my B 26 sitting on my 10 ton deck over. I have electric brakes on the trailer,air on the truck. the Cat has a lot of power and torque. I can ramble down the hiway fully loaded and easily maintain 70 mph. braking isn't a problem either. I can haul my Tak 140 and a little less tonnage in the dump bed. I need to figure out how to upload some pics.

9. stuvecorp

I like those old ChemLawn trucks but am scared of the 444 being really slow and can it tow decent?

10. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

heres what my dumptruck looks like