How much competition?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, May 30, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Just curious how much competition there is for smaller residentials that are better suited to a 36WB and 21" in your area?
    Do people with properties that size have money in your area?
    Is that an untapped market?
    Do you have those type of properties at all?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Quite a bit here. But they're all lowballers and I'm not really afraid of them, I just don't like the way they operate. I just do the best work I possibly can and try to be on top.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

most lawns that i cut are between 20,000 sqft and a few acres, but their are some smaller lawns, nothing the size of what you mean. but the lowballers get them most of the time, unless the person wants to pay more to have the lawn looking better.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious how much competition there is for smaller residentials that are better suited to a 36WB and 21" in your area? Better suited to a 36 or 21? A 60 rider works perfectly. Yeah, theres a good deal of competition for them. A large percentage of lawns here are exactly like this.

Do people with properties that size have money in your area? Yeah, but they don't like to spend it

Is that an untapped market? pretty well tapped

Do you have those type of properties at all? yep, quite a few

Thinking about a move casey? :p

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Most small residentials here are cut by the boy next store for 10 bucks a week, for a 10K lawn,all bagged.I think anyone who trys to make momey competeing with the kids that mow are fools,you cant compete with them,they have no overhead,moms mower,and nothing but time.I only do 1/2 acre and larger,and commercial is my prefference,since insurance is required,something not a lot of guys here carry,keeps the lowballers away.

6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I was that kid a few years back. LOL

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

There are many homeowners who have properties that range in size from 6 to 10m/sf. They mostly pay between $25-35 a cut for mow and trim.

Many homeowners are beginning to gripe more and nmore about guys running the z's on their properties and looking to walkbehind users for service.

8. casey

casey Guest

I'm finding an excess of work doing small middle to upper income customers with lots suited to 36 and 21. I'm wondering why their arn't more guys going after this market? I can do 3 to 5 of these lots in an hour at 17 to 20$ a lawn.
    There are scrubs but most of the pretenders fall off during the spring growth.
    I've got so many calls "...he just never showed up again"
    The large properties are bid on by so many LCO's that they end up working for penuts.
    Does anyone else focus on smaller residentials?

9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I do alot of them. A lot of trimming though. You can easily get about 5 in a row and do them in 2 hours with a 36" thats without velke.

10. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

Though I have some clients (about 20) that I could use a 36" on, most of my maintenance accounts are cut with 21". I would be switching machines way to often if I used both 36" and 21". I would loose so much time loading and unloading the bigger machines. Everybody that I now that works in the same area as myself uses 21" machines.
    Check you this page and you'll see how close the houses and small the gates are.

http://jlclandscaping.com/lawnsite/so_many_houses.htm

John