• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

how much dirt needed?

2 clowns mowing

LawnSite Senior Member
i have an area behind a house that is only clay and will need top soil on it i would say it's 100 ft wide by 300 feet long thinking 2-3 inches deep how many yards of top soil will be needed to be trucked in? and what kind of grass seed should i use in mid ohio?

supercuts

LawnSite Silver Member
there is a seperate forum for renovation questions, might have better luck there

terrapro

LawnSite Bronze Member
i dont know about the seed but my soil calculator came up with 231.481yd at 2.5in deep

tnpete

LawnSite Member

packer101

LawnSite Member
i have an area behind a house that is only clay and will need top soil on it i would say it's 100 ft wide by 300 feet long thinking 2-3 inches deep how many yards of top soil will be needed to be trucked in? and what kind of grass seed should i use in mid ohio?
100 x 300 x .25 / 27 = 278 cubic yards

upidstay

LawnSite Bronze Member
For future reference, there is a calculator in the "Free Tools" tab at the top of the screen.
And yeah, 278 is alot of soil

Ramairfreak98ss

LawnSite Silver Member
Keep in mind the soil will cost you roughly $6200+ alone. Usually i get $25-30yrd to spread it etc. I dont work out my prices that way really but it comes down to that i guess. Your looking at 7 grand in labor on top of the soil cost just for spreading.