1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How much dirt??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MOW ED, Apr 21, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 300 sq ft area that measures aprox. 55 x 5 that must be raised up 2" as it sits. It has grass on it now.

I am thinking of cutting the sod out and raising the grade. I think it will be aprox 4" low after sod is cut but I am not sure.

The area is a strip that runs the length of a driveway and a walkway that has settled 2 inches.

How much black dirt do I need to fill it and make it right. I plan to overseed it after I raise it.

I am new at this and need a little help.

I also have about 2500 sq ft to rip up and overseed at the same place. How much dirt will I need in addition to above. thanks.
    ed

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

MowEd,

If you're doing 300 sq ft w/ 6" soil (4 0ut, replaced and raised by 2), you get only 54 sq ft/yd at 6" depth - so approx 6 cu yds of soil. For 2500 sq ft, you'd need approx 8* that or approx 48 yds. Better higher a triaxle and machine for this job.