How much do customers care about lines?

Higgins909

LawnSite Member
Right now I'm relearning what little I knew. I got my hands on some tools. I'm looking to try and get into lawn care.

So I was mowing my lawn. It's not the best lawn. I only took about 1 to 1.5 inches off. I pretty much could not see where I was going or had already been. Particularly for the front. For the rear, you could see the lines, but they were curved. Even more curved at the start and end of the line. It's been about 15hrs later and you can't see any lines at all, anywhere. I tried to correct the curve a couple times but it didn't seem to do anything.

Is this normal? Should I or the customer care? Something I need to work on? I feel like the lines last longer if the grass was cut from say 6-8" to 3" instead of 3.5-4" to 3".

Thanks,
Higgins909

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Lines show up better in taller thicker grass.some mowers do a better job of striping than others. The closeup shot is a trashy lawn cut at about 2.75". The long distance shot is my house. Back yard cut at 4", basically reclaimed field.

What mower are you using? Only taking 1.5" off yeah you can have a real hard time seeing your cut line on junky lawns.
Screenshot_20210916-202433_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210914-201935_Gallery.jpg

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
Right now I'm relearning what little I knew. I got my hands on some tools. I'm looking to try and get into lawn care.

So I was mowing my lawn. It's not the best lawn. I only took about 1 to 1.5 inches off. I pretty much could not see where I was going or had already been. Particularly for the front. For the rear, you could see the lines, but they were curved. Even more curved at the start and end of the line. It's been about 15hrs later and you can't see any lines at all, anywhere. I tried to correct the curve a couple times but it didn't seem to do anything.

Is this normal? Should I or the customer care? Something I need to work on? I feel like the lines last longer if the grass was cut from say 6-8" to 3" instead of 3.5-4" to 3".

Thanks,
Higgins909
Some care, some don’t. Just a preference thing. I picked up an acct where this customer fired his last lco cuz their lines/stripes weren’t straight. I gave that acct up a few months into it. Guy was ridiculous, which is fine, I’m used to working for people who are extremely picky but this guy just couldn’t be pleased. You just have to decide what your biz is about.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks,
Higgins909
Honest to god over 120 lawns and not one complaint about not striping. When you get I’d double and triple cut and as the volume exploded i just couldn’t. In fact sometimes i do test runs with clippings. No complaints, no issues.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks,
Higgins909
Your last sentence jumped out at me. I'd much prefer to be cutting from 3.5/4"to 3 without stripes, than from 6-8" to 3" with stripes. Cutting off that much at one time creates different and much bigger problems.

OP
H

Higgins909

LawnSite Member
Your last sentence jumped out at me. I'd much prefer to be cutting from 3.5/4"to 3 without stripes, than from 6-8" to 3" with stripes. Cutting off that much at one time creates different and much bigger problems.
Yeah, as I'm researching, and hearing about the 1/3rd rule, I'm realizing that. But that's actually how I used to mow grass all the time. (My introduction has some insight) My mother hires a guy and he actually does this. But down to 2" and some low spots of 1"! Which has me like no wonder the lawn has so many bad spots. (I'm still learning and researching)

Right now all I have is a 21" Honda HRN 216VKA, for a mower. I think my lack of lawn lingo has mislead on what I'm trying to talk about. I cannot attach a roller to this mower to do stripes. But I can see the bit of discoloration in the grass that my wheels make. This time around the wheel lines only stayed 15hrs, but I remember they can be visible for at least a couple of days. (Very old memory on that one, is it true?)

But it seems this doesn't really matter to a lot of customers.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, as I'm researching, and hearing about the 1/3rd rule, I'm realizing that. But that's actually how I used to mow grass all the time. (My introduction has some insight) My mother hires a guy and he actually does this. But down to 2" and some low spots of 1"! Which has me like no wonder the lawn has so many bad spots. (I'm still learning and researching)

Right now all I have is a 21" Honda HRN 216VKA, for a mower. I think my lack of lawn lingo has mislead on what I'm trying to talk about. I cannot attach a roller to this mower to do stripes. But I can see the bit of discoloration in the grass that my wheels make. This time around the wheel lines only stayed 15hrs, but I remember they can be visible for at least a couple of days. (Very old memory on that one, is it true?)

But it seems this doesn't really matter to a lot of customers.
I would not concern yourself too much about how long the wheel lines last.

More important to concern yourself with showing up, doing the work, mowing often enough, sharp blades, not making a mess, string trimming and blowing properly. Most people just want the grass cut and the yard tidy and could care less how long the wheel marks hang around.

SouthEastTurf

LawnSite Member
I don’t think it matters as much, because most of the grass you will be mowing in Texas will not stripe at all or will only hold it for short period of time.

You will see a lot Centipede and St Augustine. Which are very hard to get to stripe. Some Bermuda and Zoysia will hold a stripe, but usually will need to be cut with a reel mower to get good lines. Also grasses down here are usually cut shorter, so it's harder for the grass to lean over. I can get a stripe on healthy Bermuda with high lift blades, but nothing compared to what people get on cool season grasses.

For you average homeowner, it won’t matter, for those that want stripes, they usually mowing it themselves multiple times a week with a reel mower.

Top Forums