How much do customers care about lines?

Prestigious1

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't think 99% of our customers care about straight lines / striping. They just don't want to have to worry about mowing it themselves.
I know nothing about your local customers, but I can assure you many people in central Illinois does care about a nice striped lawn. I have 2 accounts that hired me specifically because they loved their neighbors lawn striping and asked if I could do theirs, so while your statement may or may not be true in your area, it should not be taken as a blanket statement for all. I would also suspect if the customers were given a choice, they would likely choose a striped lawn by a fair margin.

Anybody can mow a lawn...far fewer can manicure a lawn. To me, a lawn without a nicely manicured cut and stripes is like...night...

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I know nothing about your local customers, but I can assure you many people in central Illinois does care about a nice striped lawn. I have 2 accounts that hired me specifically because they loved their neighbors lawn striping and asked if I could do theirs, so while your statement may or may not be true in your area, it should not be taken as a blanket statement for all. I would also suspect if the customers were given a choice, they would likely choose a striped lawn by a fair margin.

Anybody can mow a lawn...far fewer can manicure a lawn. To me, a lawn without a nicely manicured cut and stripes is like...night...
Remember the OP is out of Texas, grasses are a lot different down there

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I live in NY, and stripes happen regardless if I'm trying or not. Sometimes its real annoying because you need to plan your paths and movements to not leave ugly stripes.

I regularly get compliments from most of my lawns on how good it looks, but vary rarely do they mention the stripes. I get things like the trimming, cleaning up walks and drives, leaf removal, or blowing the road in front of the house across the street so my customer doesn't have to look at his mess.

I have had 2 comments that I truly remember from my paying customers about stripes that stand out in the 25 yrs I've been mowing.
1 was a guy who told me he was disappointed that he had to walk to the far end of his yard to truly enjoy the stripes because of the direction of light, but he would regularly do it.
20160516_141742.jpg

Taken same day from other direction
20160516_150004.jpg

The other person was when I had 2 lawns next to each other. 1 striped amazing, the other barely. The good striping lawn sold, and the remaining customer told me they would only give the new neighbors my name if "I gave them the same Yankee Stadium stripes the other lawn got". I hate the Yankees (Lets Go Mets!) So I jokingly told him to ask for Citi Field stripes and he refused. The real reason was his lawn just doesn't stripe.

Prestigious1

LawnSite Senior Member
Good point! But on my last trip to Dallas I noticed some lawn stripes...though to be fair, I did not stop and examine it...there's an impressive lawn in Arlington too....

Ok, won't let me attach pic of the stadium the Rangers plays in...LOL

Top Forums