Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how much you guys spend on yellow page advertising, i just got done with my salesman and i am now spending $450 a month.. how about you guys?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a deal for $75 per month for an add about 1.5x3 inches. Thought it sounded like a good deal and I didn't need a business line for it. Also got my name in bold in the snow plowing section included.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Ryan, You got a good deal. I looked into yellow page ads last year. After listening to the sales woman for 30 minutes I finally got her to tell me some prices. An ad the size of a business card was $464 per month!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a half page ad. because i got a half page they gave me another half page ad for free in the landscape contractor section. i was also told that i would be the second ad in the book in both lawn maintenance and landscape contractor.. with listing in four other columns. it seems very expensive but they showed the me the stats on another landscaper who they bought a phone line for and used the number only for the yellow pages. he averaged 145 calls a month...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine is a 1/8 page ad for $245, that's only one area that this book serves though.
If you are only one of 2 with a 1/2 page ad in a good market get ready for some serious response.
Keep your prices high and hire some good help!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have an add for 23.00 per month in the local yellow pages and one in the transwestern for about 25.00-2.5 in.add.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Mine costs me $13.70 a month!

One line, lists my name and phone #

Did the $350.00 thing last year and so far am getting the same results with the new price.

Let people tell you it doesn't work and don't get one. I was skeptical at first myself but the phone hasn't stopped since we got the ad last year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Homer
You say this years add is doing as well as last years and it is only one line. I bet a lot of people are still using last years book and calling from the $350.00 add. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
That is a possibility but the new book has been out since June '99. I always throw my old books away, maybe some don't. If thats the case then I'm getting residuals off my investment!:D

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Yellow pages ads are complex. Prices depend on a variety of things. Which book you advertise in (assuming there are multiple books in your area), how large of an ad you place, etc.

If you are going to advertise in the yellow pages you want to make sure and do your homework first. If you have multiple books in your area, you want to look at the top two and sit down with a sales person from each of them and go over the info they give you. Each of them are going to claim that they have the most readership typically. But you want to read between the lines. You want to have that info verified with an outside source (my favorite is the National Yellow Pages Monitor). Whoever REALLY has the most readers, you want to advertise with them. Although you should expect to pay probably twice as much for the ad.

Another giant factor is the size of your ad. Small ads get very few calls. And in my experience, are not worth the money you spend on them. If you are advertising in the "Lawn Care" section, you will want to be in the top 3 as far as size of your ad. Anything less and you'll get lackluster results. Look at the stats. The #1 ad in any given sections of the yellow pages gets like 50-60% of the all of the calls from that section. The #2 ad gets like 25%. The #3 ad gets 10-20%. The remaining goes to the lesser ads. And it aint much.

If you are advertising in the "Landscaping" or "Landscape Contractors section" (assuming you do that kind of work) then you don't necessarily need to be in the top 3. You probably won't be able to handle the calls. You only need to land a few decent sized landscape installations per month and you'll be plenty busy. So you can get away with a smaller ad. Anywhere in the top 10 or so ads will suffice and probably get you enough business to pay for the ad.

Last year we were #1 in the "Lawn Care' section. It worked pretty well but as Kent Lawns said above, you weed out a lot of them. And since we were only advertising for lawn care and maintenance, I think we got just barely enough business to make it worth it. Still, I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't quite the results I was hoping for.

This year we are paying $750 for the #8 position in the "Landscaping" section. I have only received a handfull of calls so far as the book just came out a month ago. But today I got a call for a full front and back install and I bet I'll get the job. So it appears to be working ok. We'll know for sure in about 2-3 months.

All and all, Yellow pages is not the best return for your bucks. Fliers, for the money, are by far the best return on your dollar. I could pay the same $750 for someone to lay a few thousand fliers per month and probably get more results than I am from my Yellow Pages ad. The problem is that I don't have someone do that and I get too busy in the spring and summer to worry about making copies of fliers, sending someone out to do it, etc. I like the fact that the yellow pages demands none of my time after it's placed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I get a bold listing with two lines for 13.50 a month. I've had bigger ones and I agree its not worth the extra money. How do you guys handle your calls? My wife works and owner and operator I have a answering machine that answers the calls from the add wiyh my cell phone number on it if they need to get a hold of me right away. Somedays I feel I get so swamped with calls I lose alot of time on my jobs. Any of you been in this situation? I've found out the phone book people don't always deliver new ones to every household at least thats what happens here.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I pay 79.00 a month for a in column display ad that is 1.5" tall by 1.80" wide that includes my logo.

I use to pay 54.00 per month for a 3/4" tall ad that just had company name in bold type, could not get logo option.

No business line required for display ads.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am paying $68 per month, for a display add 1.75"X 2.5" plus had to get a biz line. Placed 21st of all the landscape contractors, on a page by myself. There are 2 other display adds on the same page, One for a equipment dealer and a soil-mulch dealer. They are at the top and I am at the bottom of the page. Only calls I get from that add are people trying to sell me stuff. So that was $1200 down the drain. Yellow pages are a sore subject for me. I really had high hopes for the add. I find the best is flyers then comes the weekly local papers.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
use to have the big add $$ when started but just have the one liner now ...... with so much compettion the word of mouth and signage does good (put a small sign up on your premium accounts if the manager will let you do it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.