1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassBlaster, Mar 10, 2004.

1. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I'm stacked up on spring clean-ups right now, and am looking at getting a buddy to help me out to get caught up.

How much do you guys pay your help in this situation?

2. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Pay him $7 or $8 an hour. If he can run all your equipment pay him more. If all he's going to do is shovel, rake or any other manual labor adjust the pay accordingly. My 2 cents. Good luck

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, what's he worth is your answer. if he can use all your stuff, and he's reliable, i'd start him at $10, if he proves worthy, bring him up to $12. i had guys i paid $6 an hour, they werent woth $2, i've had guys i paid $12, they were worth $20

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

If he is your buddy hook em up....I have a good friend that helps me in the winter.... He works harder than I do.... I always take care of him..... at a minimum I would pay him 10-12..... If he's good and you'll need him again make it worth his time.... or next time he may not be so willing to help a brother out....

somebody I didnt know would be aorund 7 or 8......

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

since your going to be doing cleanups-8/hr is a good wage. once you see that hes good/reliable and hard working, dont hesitate to bump him to 8 or 9/hr.

if hes crap, keep it at 8.

but its kinda hard to keep a helper for under 8...@least here it is.

6. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

10.00 per hour seems to retain my employee every year. I have paid less and recieved less in the past so i will stick with this amount...

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year I had an employee come to me and demand a raise(Was at the time paid $10 per hour), after all " You said I would be reviewed after 30 days of employment."

A smirk appeared on my chin...

I said "indeed you would be reviewed on the 30 days of employment mark."

I pulled out his file...I remarked "you haven't been here 30 consecutive days yet. You have a remarkable history of calling in sick 1 day per week."

"I been calling around and the average pay for cutters around here is $12 an hour," said he...

"Key work there is average" I replied. "Some cutters are being paid $16 per hour, some are receiving $8 per hour, the average is $12 per hour"

..."You should be receiving $8 per hour" I told the now deflated employee. "as a matter of fact here is a written warning that if you miss 1 more day within the next 30 days without a doctors excuse in hand, your employment will be terminated."

6 days later he was...

8. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Wast no time in deadbeats

9. DanThe Grass Man61

DanThe Grass Man61 LawnSite Member

$ 10.00 is the norm here in Cleveland too.

10. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Classic story SODKING