Lawn Care Forum banner

How Much do you spend on advertising?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Cut 
#1 ·
So far this year we have spent over $600 on various advertisement or upcoming advertisement. Maybe I sound cheap, but my wife would like that money.

DOES THIS SOUND TOO MUCH?

plus we haven't put a flier on a door yet and that will cost more to pay employees to do that

$175 for 9,000 fliers (going out this weekend)
$75 for 1000 post-it-notes (going out this weekend)
$133.50 for hometown newspaper for 13 weeks (march 16-june 30)
$140 computer screen ad at grocery store for 3 months (march 10-june 30)
$20 for business cards for employee to act as sales manager to go door to door to businesses
$71 for hometown telephone directory (comes out in may)

#2 ·
In my opinion you are getting away cheap. I think many spend much more.

I spent $422 for 10,000 doorhangers that will hit the streets next week. I have a friend that will be distributing them and making the sales. He will earn 10% of what he sells for me. So he could make (and I spend) as little as $0.00 or as much as $6,000.00. I'm hoping for the latter... which is our goal.

#3 ·
I am in Canada, so the economy is significantly different..But for what its worth, My first two years in business I spent around 1200.00 and 1500.00 for all my advertising.

This year I really want to grow, ALOT..I will be spending 12,000.00 this year between yellow pages in two phone books, business cards, web site, flyers, and a few other sources.

I have already ( since January 15 of this year) done about 20,000.00 in gross sales from the yellow pages alone. So I predict no problems with spending that kind of money to really get going.

-Reuben

#4 ·
Lawn-Scapes said:
I spent $422 for 10,000 doorhangers that will hit the streets next week. I have a friend that will be distributing them and making the sales.
lawn-scapes, care to offer any more detail on your distribution plan? does he have an army to deliver those or what kind of timeline have you guys arranged?

#5 ·
$10 grand last year, but we didn't end up using all the printed material and were using left overs for this year.

It really depends on what your needs are. I'm not looking to gain more then a handful of accounts this year. A new company would spend more on marketing and depending if you want 50 lawns or 400 lawns will also decide marketing cost. Supply and demand play a huge factor in the amount needed too. There are many variables as to why one company would spend next to nothing and one would spend $100,000.

#7 ·
Lawn-Scapes said:
In my opinion you are getting away cheap. I think many spend much more.

I spent $422 for 10,000 doorhangers that will hit the streets next week. I have a friend that will be distributing them and making the sales. He will earn 10% of what he sells for me. So he could make (and I spend) as little as $0.00 or as much as $6,000.00. I'm hoping for the latter... which is our goal.
That is a win situation for you, if he doesn't get frustrated and quit. You have nothing to lose, but he does. I would think you would have to at least keep track of time and make sure he gets minimum wage. unless of coerce he owns a marketing business and you are subbing it to him. Hopefully he will land you many accounts and you both will win.

#8 ·
I only use ads in the paper for a month or so and yellow pages..as well as magnets for all my customers. One week in the newspaper here is over $30.00 a week. I see you are getting yours for only around 10.00. WOW! Thats a big difference.

#9 ·
In 2004 I spent exactly $0 on advertising. I had decided to just maintain the status quo. Probably should have tried to grow, hindsight is 20/20.

Right now I'm spending $400 to print 15,000 flyers, around $350 to have those distributed. Depending on the response to those, I may have some more printed up.

Really, flyers are so cheap, they're almost always worth the money. If nothing else they get your name out, and the next time you flyer, people will recognize you.

$175 for 9,000 flyers is good, less than 2 cents each.

#10 ·
Last year it was around $3K. Right around $4K this year. It will be more next, if that is what I have to do.

#12 ·
I went to my high school where I coach and got the printshop guys (some of my wrestlers) to do it.

Actual break down $95 for 6000 from the high school
$75 from Staples for 3000
$85 or 75 for 1000 post-it-notes from staples

Plus I am going next week to the other design class to get my T-shirts made for $7 each.

#13 ·
I have:
1000 flyers
500 cards
200 post its (with 10 numbers to pull off each)
100 (one page) calanders
and still printing.

I got a lexmark printer for 35$, $20 in paper and card stock, 20$ in ink refills that still are over 3/4 full.

$75 in costs and have plenty of ink and paper left over to make double that.
And all the prints have been set at the highest quality.

#14 ·
Cut said:
I have:
1000 flyers
500 cards
200 post its (with 10 numbers to pull off each)
100 (one page) calanders
and still printing.

I got a lexmark printer for 35$, $20 in paper and card stock, 20$ in ink refills that still are over 3/4 full.

$75 in costs and have plenty of ink and paper left over to make double that.
And all the prints have been set at the highest quality.
Just hope it doesn't rain soon after you pass them out. :eek:

#15 ·
About $2,500 .This will be my first year that i will not be passing out flyers. I have no patience to do that sh!t anymore. I would pay someone but no one wants to do it either. Instead I am doing direct mailings. Inserts in news papaers and money saver coupons.
Not to mention my Saturday morning, Door to Door Knocking that gets me about
2-3 new customers or jobs per month. So this year is going to be real exciting. I cant wait to hear the phone start ringing. payup Good luck to everyone

#16 ·
I have read in several business magazines that if your wish to keep expanding your company you should spend 30 percent of the money you profited from the previous year on advertising for the next. That seems like a hell of a lot to me, but just though I would throw it out there. First two years in I spent about 3000 now I am spending around 5000

#17 ·
Well I am have been planning on adding a second crew this season for almost 6 months. I am executing marketing strategy to cover all the bases. I am planning on spending at least 20k, but I don't have a family to feed and I am not going to fund my hobbies anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.