1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How much extra to charge to haul away leaves

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by justinpsmith, Jan 3, 2020.

1. justinpsmith

justinpsmith LawnSite Member

For a small yard that's got a lot of leaves how much extra do you guys add to haul the leaves offsite? I'm bidding a smallish property that's let their leaves build up a bit. Would be like $150 or $175 (2.5 hours hopefully) to just pile them on curb. Just wondering because all of my previous jobs I've either piled on the curb or bagged and left on the curb.
    I would probably just pile leaves in the back of the pickup or maybe even rent a uHaul trailer for the day? It looks like it's only $14.95.

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I'd start R and D(removal and disposal) on this one at $75. After you do the job you will have a better idea of what to charge on the next one. R and D is much more work than just the cleanup. I always price it so the customer will look for a way to dispose of onsite to save money but my customers are in rural area's.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

$50-$75 is a pretty good range for disposal fees. Depends on where you're dumping, how much they charge you, how much of a drive, and how long it takes you. You have to figure fees, gas, labor. My landfill is $42 per load but I've got a couple of people who I take my leaves to that compost. I still charge the disposal fee regardless where I'm dumping because there's still labor and fuel involved.

4. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

I appreciate the advice I'm probably gonna go $165 + $65 for removal offsite for a total of $230. I try to get at least $165 for full leaf removal jobs even though this is a relatively small lot and the $65 will more than cover the rest.

MILLC and Cam15 like this.
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

As a point of reference, I drive a Ford F150 with an 8' bed. I have made a set of walls that fit in the bed stake pockets, and give me a load capacity of approx. 5 cubic yards. If my truck is packed full of leaves/debris, I charge $75.00/load to remove. This fee includes my time to drive to the landfill, my time to unload the debris, the fee incurred by the landfill, and fuel costs. Most loads take about an hour of my time or less.

6. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

How big is a small yard in DC?

7. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

If you're charging $150.00 - $175.00 to bring them to the curb. I would be at like $325.00 - $350.00 to take them away. Rough estimate, lol. Without photos I couldn't give an accurate number.

Roughly a $50-80.00 Dumping Fee.

$325.00
    - $70.00
    = $255.00 - Not too bad and should be right around 2 hours.

We were doing a leaf clean up across the street from another company, they didn't have the dump trailer and stuff like we did. They had 1 open trailer and another truck with a long bed. They ended up running over the leaves in the street and shoveling it into the bed of the truck. Makes a big mess but shrinks a huge pile of leaves fast.

8. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

What were they running the leaves over with? I don’t have a riding mower.

9. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

They were using what looked like a 48" Exmark Sit down Mower. We have personally done this method as well with our Wright Stander 36" and ended up bagging and dumping onto tarps and then throwing into the dump trailer. The leaves aren't that heavy with 3-5 bags full on a tarp.

10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm blessed with a large disposal facility a couple miles from home base. Usually add in 30 minutes for a small to medium load and 45 minutes for a medium to large load. Couple small jobs on 1 load I cut the rate a little.

Taxpayer funds the dump site free to dump so I pass that savings on.