Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
cut mainline, install a "Tee", run 6' of funny pipe to head, install head, replace sod. Hmmmm let's see.........$85, more if its in clay.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would hate to take your fun away but, How many heads are on the zone now?.... are you sure the zone will handle extra water need to supply the new head and the others. is it a quarter turn, half turn or full circle.... before you get paid by me you will need to answer that question......I would charge 65.00 in my market..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Tell the customer that you will do it by da hour and that you think it will take X amount of time to complete the job. Then you can charge fer da parts dat you use. That is what I would do ifin it were me. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
how long will it take to install...

·
Registered
800 Posts
your not charging for your time digging and installing your charging for your expertise, and what does clay soil have to do with the zone being able to support the extra head?.

1 what size pipe are you connecting too ?
2how many heads are currently ont that zone
3 is the lateral center fed right now and with what size line ( not the main )
4 what size nozzle are you using ?

Iam assuming you are installing a Rotor not a spray

·
Registered
659 Posts
bruce,

please do not take any offense, but over here, people just want it done for the lowest price...most of the time, they do not want to hear this 'kid' (me) telling them (homeowner 2x my age) that it is not the right way to install...they do not want to hear that they need another zone and it will cost MUCH more than adding a simple head to this lateral line.

i know what is right, and what i should do, but i also want to stay in business and make $$$.

what would you do? drive to the home, spend 15 minutes explaining your self and not get the job...you just lost, what, one hour of billable time (drive time to house, time to explain your self, drive time to next job) plus time it took to take phone call for service call, time to give confirmation call the night before...

time is money.

ahhh, i am cranky tonight.

brian

·
Registered
800 Posts
Originally posted by greenworldh20
bruce,

what would you do? drive to the home, spend 15 minutes explaining your self and not get the job...you just lost, what, one hour of billable time (drive time to house, time to explain your self, drive time to next job) plus time it took to take phone call for service call, time to give confirmation call the night before...

time is money.

ahhh, i am cranky tonight.

brian
yeah I probably would do that. But remember I am just a trunk slammer anyway, LOL.....
what ever it takes sometimes to get paid..... I know all about it...

but adding a rotor can just make the problem worse if it cant support it, then they will call your competitor to actually give them the bad news, that the system was designed wrong anyway. and now that guy gets the big dollars and people say " now that guy knows what the 7ell he's doin. I guess at 44 nobody doubts you as much as they would as the under 30 crowd.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never thought my age would really bother you guys that much.

The line that I plan to tee off is a 1" 13 GPM line. The zone has 3 half circle rain bird 1800 series on it now, I want to add another 4" rain bird 1800 series quarter circle 6' away from the 1" line.

turfman59 Why would the dirt not be a factor? That will take more time than anything.
The customer had a small flowerbed removed and they put sod in its place. The system was designed properly.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
To add a head 6' would probably be:

$56 for one hour - should not take you more than that
$7 for spray head and nozzle - your cost should be no more than $3-$4 max
$10 Poly tee, clamps, swing ells, swing pipe
$73 Total

But there are varaibles:
Hard clay or gravel soil, Tree roots, if the head is at the bottom of a slope, a check valve head would be ideal,

·
Registered
800 Posts
Originally posted by DieselDeere
I never thought my age would really bother you guys that much.

The line that I plan to tee off is a 1" 13 GPM line. The zone has 3 half circle rain bird 1800 series on it now, I want to add another 4" rain bird 1800 series quarter circle 6' away from the 1" line.

turfman59 Why would the dirt not be a factor? That will take more time than anything.
Now if you would have given all that info to start I wouldnt have had to MICRO Manage your project, now would I !

It would take me longer to get the shovel out of the back of my trunk, than to dig that 6 ft trench for a piece of funy pipe. Your right dirt is a factor if'in yur ina a hurry.

DID I hear someone say TRUNK slammer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.