How much growth did you experience

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kennedylawns, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Kennedylawns

Kennedylawns LawnSite Member

So things are in full swing for me. This is my second year doing this part time and I'm simply blown away by the growth I've seen in just one year. ( this isn't me trying to brag or anything ) last year I started late in mid April and finished with 5 accounts and now I'm at 30 accounts and 35 yards ( few clients have some rentals ). This got me to thinking about how fast everyone else grew in their first few years of being in business.

2. Walkerchav

Walkerchav LawnSite Member

My first year is this season. Im More of a landscaper, and have 7 or so accounts, and most of those people want their lawns cut as well. I'm trying my hardest to expand but I'm not making much progress. So right now I'm sitting on about 7 or so completed landscape clients, a few possible "big" jobs im bidding on, and 5 lawn accounts...tell me your secret to success...haha

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

It took me 3 years to get a full route.

4. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

3rd year in - I brought in $3500 in spring cleanups compared to $1800 last year. $5000+ booked for mulch compared to around $2000 last year.
    Building a mowing route is slow growth in my area - low population - no new neighborhoods - and very few home sales. The top large companies battle it out for the commercial contracts.
    Mowing route Year 1 @ $600-800week // Year 2 @ $1000-1200week // yr.3@ $1500+ a week but expecting more. That's just wed-friday mowing about 25 hrs @ the most.

C0dyL88 likes this.
  5. Walkerchav

Do you guys pursue contracting and trade services in the winter? Or only in the summer/spring

6. Kennedylawns

I just do a good job ( in my opinion ) and show up when I say I will. I use a few lead generation sites and sent out a few eddm postcards which I've only gotten 7 calls from but they are all lucrative. Also I run my family's construction business so I have that to fall back into during the winter months. Though it gets slow during that time as well.

larryinalabama likes this.
  7. Walkerchav

What are eddm postcards?

8. Kennedylawns

Every door direct mail. Basically send it postcards to every house in certain routes.

9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Your growth is average/usual for your size.

It's when you get a bit bigger when things start to slow down.

10. amps

amps LawnSite Member

First year I had about 12 customers from just Kijiji advertising.

Last year I handed out door hangers and built a site, grew to 50 customers by June before I stopped taking new business due to a full schedule.

My plan this year was to advertise and go full-time mowing/weed control but life got in the way. I haven't done any advertising but I've added 7 new customers just from referrals.

My growth has been due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, my city is growing exponentially and most homes have tiny lawns that aren't worth owning a lawn mower for. Secondly, I do my best to make sure my customers know I'm an absolute nerd about grass and I give them the best customer service I can. In total, I've earned 15 customer of my 60 just through referrals.