Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it gets really hot do you work as usual, cut corners, or just skip? Do you have a set temp where you call it a day if it goes above a certain temp?

I can handle the high 90's if the humidity stays low, sometimes even the low 100's don't really bother me but this week's temps just seem hot.
This week it's been over 70* overnight and in the low 100's during the day with over 25% humidity. Today it went to 104* but luckly I finished by lunch time before the real heat started. Tommorow's accounts are full service but I plan on only doing the bare minimum (mow blow n go) to finish early. Since this heat wave started I've seen an increase in calls for service and have been bidding everything higher due to the heat. I prefer to work less during the summer heat especially since I live in an year round work climate, summer and winter = less work but same $ since everyone is on an year round service agreement. All I have to do is show up once a week, for example in the winter I sometimes show up blow the walkways and leave, and I still get paid my full rate.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
LOL 25% humidity! Try 95-100 with 65-75% humidity. Now that's nasty

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm here in Oklahoma and it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. I just slow down a little and drink plenty of water and Gatorade. The water is kept cool but not cold. The body can rehydrate it's self better with cool water and not cold. Take a rags and dip it cool water and place it on your neck you would be surprised how well it cools you down. Also ride with your truck windows down. The body will adjust to the breeze better than going from ac cold to hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'll get used to it.

It's been hot here in Central Texas also. All I can say is drink lots of fluids (yes, I hate to say it, but Gatoraide works), wear a good sunscreen and wide brim hat, and take breaks in the shade.

Don't let the heat affect the service you provide. That's one of the reasons we're getting paid what we are. If it was easy, then anyone would do it.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I have found that part of handling the heat, is to get out early every day, and as the heat builds, your body has a chance to get used to it. If for some reason, I don't get out till noon on a hot day, the heat really makes me sick, as I have not had the morning to get used to it.
When it gets in the upper 90's to 100's, we try to start by 6:00AM, and knock off by 2:00PM. My guys do not want to stop for lunch, they just work straight through to get finished. We have started as early as 4:00AM to beat the heat. When I worked solo, I had a big commercial property that I would start on about 8:00PM. I would mow till about midnight, go home and sleep a while, then go back at daylight and do the trimming and edging. That kept me out of the worst of the heat.
I really hate summer in Texas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having a ZTR helps alot. I would not want to walk and then trim, edge etc. Living in Florida you learn a few tricks, especially if you play sports. In the summer, when the heat and humidity are brutal, make sure to drink at least a quart of water every evening (not all at once). Follow this by juice in the mornings with breakfast and maybe back off the coffee and soda's, the caffeine dehydrates you. Believe me this hydrates you and increases endurance for work and sports.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
GreenFrog is right about the central valley of California.

The San Joaquin Valley used to have a lot less than 25% humidity until about 25 or 30 years ago. It was so dry that any shade felt very cool due to the rapid drying of perspiration. In the 1950's I lived in Kerman, about 15 miles west of Fresno, and only had to go about 5 miles to the West to shoot jack rabbits and ground squirrels. Much of the valley was desert but now is mostly farmed and the higher humidity at temps >100 degrees will really put a hurting on you. You really don't get wet with sweat, your body just dehydrates at an unbelievable rate in that heat and it is really hard to consume enough liquid to keep going.

Oldtimer

·
Registered
521 Posts
THis Florida heat is brutal. Im from KS and it would reach 105 sometimes but it wasnt as bad as when its 95 here in FL. This humidity is insane. I used to always wear pants but here lately ive been wearing shorts alot. It helps a little.
I used to get on my helper about taking so many breaks but in this heat im right there with him. I drank two gallons of water today.

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
The Central Valley IS different,your too far away from the ocean to get any cool air from that,and with the Sierra Navada Mntn range the hot air rises then is pushed against the mntns and comes right back over the valley and just sits there and cooks you.
108 tommorrow there they say.
I live alot higher but it was so hot today I went to pick out some AZ flagstone about a mile away
,and by the time I got there my dog and I got out of the truck(no AC) and the dog puked it was so hot.I know gross huh?Had to take him home.
I do my quotes,order my deliveries,make landscape plans,and do cust phone backs,and pprwork during the day and work at night w/my light when it's this hot.
I had heat stroke once and once you have had it,you just can't handle the heat like before.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Sounds like you lot are getting the heat we had last summer! We had some very hot and humid days for sure! There were times I went out early (not allowed to start engines before 7am) and came home around 11.30/12 o'clock, sit and cool down and go back out about 2 or 3pm till 6pm or so! That midday sun was a killer not to mention the 80 to 100% humidity!

IT was hard but on the other hand, its the middle of winter here now and the grass is still growing. Slowly yes but still growing. This time last year was drought and I did 4 lawns in 4 mths!

Try not to think about the heat, start early, drink heaps of water be it cold (my choice as it cools from the inside) or out of the tap. I try to stay away from gatorade etc unless Im out of water. 1 or 2 small bottles are ok but not a substitute for water. Wear loose clothing like shorts, 2 or 3 times to big T-shirts (I cut the sleaves off too). Could even try soaking a T-shirt under a tap and wear that. Dont look to flash but it catches any breeze and works a treat. Trust me! Saved my azz so many times I cant count!

When its hot I dont give a sh!t what I look like. As long as I can do the job and not pass out, Im happy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here in central Fl we get the afternoon storms that do little to cool things off but raise the humidity level to near 100%. I've been mowing (with a walk behind) and after the noon storms have seen a layer of fog about waiste high! The air is so high in moisture your lungs hurt! I'm born and raised in Fl and that still hurts me. I did 11 years in Southern Nevada and work on the ramp at Nellis AFB and saw 130+ degree temps due to running jet engines and lots of concrete. I also did alot of long distance cycling thru the deserts. A couple of things I learned, LOTS of water! Gator-aide is good for getting electro-lites and such back into your system but during the actual work process you need water to replace the liquid your loosing. After you stop (or between jobs) drink a little less water but the start drinking the gator-aide. You guys may want to look into using a hydration system. They are a system you put on your back like a small backpack. You fill the internal bladder with ice and water slide it into the backpack holder. The backpack is insulated on the outside but has nylon netting next to your shirt. It keeps you a little cooler and melts the ice with the heat from your back. You have a drinking tube that runs from the bottom of the bladder out the top of the backpack. The tube has a pinch valve at the end. You bite the valve and water comes out. One brand name is "Camel-Back". Stop by a local bicycle shop and look at the different styles and sizes. I use it on my ZTR and walk behind.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
I work regardless the heat conditions. what is 25% humidity? never heard of that.

the guys...and gals I respect are the FL, LA, TX bunch.... heck, I guess it gets hot in GA and and MS too.

GEO :waving:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
0700 - 76 degrees - 90% humidity in Pensacola with rain predicted to start around noon. Still don't have power @ Seville and expect around 95-100 degrees inside the show room. We don't have to move to have sweat soaked clothes. I am getting quotes on a stand by generator.

Oldtimer
Just growing older in hurricane alley

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i just keep working. only thing that I do different, is im easier on my truck. Its going to be 100 tomorrow. Its going to be FUN!!! Its just heat, as long as I have water its not a big deal. I rather work in the heat instead of 70degree weather because when its hot, i work that much harder so I get done faster. Bring on the heat

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maine doesn't compare to where you guys are but this year started off wet into June and then turned to low 90's with high humidity. Its been like that most of the summer. We are used to it now. We never take a day off due to heat. Usually start early and take it easy at a steady pace. Lots of fluids. :)

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
Mickhippy said:
Try not to think about the heat, start early, drink heaps of water be it cold (my choice as it cools from the inside) or out of the tap. !
Mick has it correct Don't watch the weather reports just go out and work. It has been in the 95-105 range for almost a month and we still have August ahead of us. The good part is July is half gone and it RAINED today. No shorts for us we try to cover every inch of the skin, including a wet towel over the neck and long sleeve shirts. When things get bad simply wet all the clothing and it is like AC. Lately we have been doing irrigation checks and repairs near the end of the day and that cools you off guick.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We've had 43-45C days here the last week with humdity. Rained today for the first time in over 2 weeks and it only lasted 10 minutes....we aren't cutting too much anymore though with no rain and watering bans in effect. We have roughly 2 days water supply left as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.