Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at those wages and thinking every time I do a job I pay my guys 15-18 an hr and there 19-23 am I paying to much? Im a Journeyman Carpenter making 34.75 an hr but would rather start my own buisness. As long as work is good I have great benefits and can bank my hours as credit for slow months would it be smart for me to start my own buisness or stay with Carpentry?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah its union. Im 25 and have been doing sod for my 2nd job for over 5 years. I mean grossing 1390 a week aint bad but i always thought I could make more working for my self. I do miss the double time and overtime. I would hate to have to think I would pay my guys alot more but they are all yooung and are already complaining about there wage or at least my main guy. I told im to wait till I pick up the pace to 40 hr week and we will see how he does then. I didnt decribe the work but its sod installation. How do I tell my workers your just laborer and not the brains of the operation(me) cause they are making more in one day with me then they are there minimum wage week long jobs or part time jobs.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are the boss, he either works for what you offer him or he gets replaced. 15-18/hr ain't bad at all. If he keeps up his demand and you don't want to send him packing, offering a cost-of-living raise which equates to average annual inflation (3%) and that it kicks in after you're up to forty hours.
Just my $.02 worth

·
Registered
160 Posts
i think this depends on your personality i know people who just couldnt run a business efficiently if there life depended on it and for them a 34/hr job with a boss to tell them what to do and set hours so they know when to get up is incredibly good for them but for me i cant stand having a boss or set hours or set pay the harder/faster i work the more money i make and i do make more than 34/hr most hours although i get screwed every once in a while just like everybody we all lose our shirt somtimes and you have to be prepared for that so if you like the idea of being your own boss and think you can handle it then go for it cause you wont make millions in a union job but theres a chance you could if you start your own business

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I was a lineman making some good $ until an injury. Always did bobcat work on the side and thats what I wanted to do full time but didn't have the nuts to leave the $. Maybe you can get somthing going on the side when it's slow. I don't knoe if decks are big in your area. Maybe you could do both as a business. Somthing like backyard creations as a name. If your a skilled carpenter you can make the move rather easily.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think as a whole union guys get a bad rap. I think you will know right away what kind of worker the guy will be. Some people will take advantage if they can and alot of union guys are notorious for this. There are lazy people on both sides and some hard workers on both sides. Union guys would be more difficult to get rid of I think

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think as a whole union guys get a bad rap. I think you will know right away what kind of worker the guy will be. Some people will take advantage if they can and alot of union guys are notorious for this. There are lazy people on both sides and some hard workers on both sides. Union guys would be more difficult to get rid of I think
Fact is, a good paying union job is the best job you are likely to get. You would be hard pressed to do better mowing lawns. Union guys do get a bad rap but so what? When it comes to taking advantage, thats what the lawn care business really amounts to. Nobody wants to pay more than they have to. Not the customer and not the lawncare owner.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im a great carpenter and hard worker and I held plans my whole apprenticeship but im a journeyman now and i feel i can make more doing sod installs and simple large things like appt complex concrete sod sprinklers and make some bigger money on the commercial end

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Do the sod work on the side and continue to grow the side business until you can't handle the 2 jobs anymore- Yes you can make more on the side but what do you do when things get slow? Or slow for awhile?

For what you are paying you should be able to get guys that can do the job without you even there!!!!! Set up the business so that you don't have to be there. This way you can keep the steady union job (with benifits!!) and still get a nice amount of money coming in on the side.
Joel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the comments im actually starting up the job cause the bay area is so slow with union work right now as well. I feel after i have my contractors license i might have a edge other my competition which just usually consist of there landscaper of a neighborhood kids.

·
Registered
884 Posts
How can you say you do not want any set hrs of work.I do not know anybody that does not have to hustle during the day in order to get their work done before a storm.And I find it pretty hard to quit early if you still have 5 lawns to mow.And how many guys just take off for a week vacation in the summer with the kids ? Anybody that says they do not want set hrs is only fooling themselves.For the most part they either have to hustle spring,summer and fall to beable to cover the slack winter months if they do not plow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do the sod work on the side and continue to grow the side business until you can't handle the 2 jobs anymore- Yes you can make more on the side but what do you do when things get slow? Or slow for awhile?

For what you are paying you should be able to get guys that can do the job without you even there!!!!! Set up the business so that you don't have to be there. This way you can keep the steady union job (with benifits!!) and still get a nice amount of money coming in on the side.
Joel
This is the approach I would take. Then if you decide its not really something that you want to do all the time, you now have a well grown and opertational business that you could sell for $$$$, which would make a nice retirement deposit or investment into something else that sparks your interest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.