How much is too much push mowing? Dilemma

nenzlick15

LawnSite Member
So I’ve been doing some lawns on the side, while working the full time lawn care gig for somebody else. To this point I haven’t needed anything but a normal 22” push mower on any of my properties, but had a (high end) home contact me about their 2ish acre property.

In time I anticipate swapping to having my own business, but where I live now our driveway does not accommodate trailers or a bunch of equipment (steep and small 2 car space), and have been slowly growing myself to lessen the financial pain when it does come time to switch over.

OBVIOUSLY I would prefer the big mowers, but I’m not going to get a trailer, rent storage, stand on etc for one or two properties, but was thinking of upgrading to the commercial 30” push mower if I get the job and just dealing with it. Am I completely nuts to consider this even if there would end up being a small profit hit in the short term? It is the type of property I want to keep focusing on, and I t would speed up all of my other properties, almost all of which are higher end/push mower properties to counter it. Fall and spring cleanups are a breeze too with woods around it, no need to trailer and dump.

View attachment 397103

D13D301A-E74B-4C29-8D35-A56901F844DE.jpeg

BigJlittleC

Banned
No to push mowing 2 acres. Better to say no and find work you can do.

You could get a 36 walk behind and ramp it into a truck bed. No trailer needed. Or even get a ramp tailgate and a small stand on will fit in a truck bed. Add a trimmer rack and your trailerless. You would be limited in haul off ability but should be fine for a mow only rig.

agm

LawnSite Senior Member
I think youre crazy to mow 2 acres with a push mower! But if you are willing to do it, more power to you! Get some good, comfortable boots! Have you thought about possibly getting something around a 36 inch mower......used? Look on craigslist or letgo and see if you can find a good deal on one. Not that big but it will be better than using a 22 inch mower.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
I wouldn’t buy a piece of equipment for one yard, what happens if they don’t like the work and they fire you? A 30” push mower would still suck on a 2 acre property. If you really want this, you could get a cheap rider and leave it at their house but they might think that’s weird.

Doc8406

LawnSite Fanatic
emoji Hmmm.jpg

Hmm let's see.. push mow 2 acres.. i suspect that it would take a good 5 hours to do that! I did 2 3/4 acres once with my 52" WB without a sulky.. and it took me 3.5 hours with it..

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
No to push mowing 2 acres. Better to say no and find work you can do.

You could get a 36 walk behind and ramp it into a truck bed. No trailer needed. Or even get a ramp tailgate and a small stand on will fit in a truck bed. Add a trimmer rack and your trailerless. You would be limited in haul off ability but should be fine for a mow only rig.
don’t be too sure about that. My first job was 4 acres with my metro 36. By the end it was dragging me.
So you’re in a dilemma brother what will happen is you’ll kill yourself for 45-60/acre and kill the day. You’ll get two cuts in and be like what did i get myself into. I would run at the smaller lawns. 25-30’s and knock out 20 a week after work. I have bigger mowers and still only aim at 25-35$ lawns. My 2

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
A guy on a 60” ZTR is going to have it done in an hour or less. It’s going to take you several hours. Even if you were willing to do the work there’s no way you could be competitive.

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Your in the game full time for someone else already and dabble on the side. Seems like a no brainer your going on your own full time within time. Assuming you have a pickup? Bite the bullet and get a 36” stander and have a rack made for your trailer receiver (similar to a motorized wheel chair rack).
Take the big job and fingers crossed you can have that job at least make your mower payment. Add a few more to get other expenses paid. A few more your into the plus side. Gotta jump sometime, might as well be now. Mowing 2.5 acres with a small WB sounds pretty terrible to me