Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually get a soil sample for my own yard and regular customers. However, I'm getting new calls about overseeding fescue in which I will not have time to get a soil sample and wait for the results. Do you guys have a general rule about how much to apply? I usually do about 20 lbs. per 1,000 sq ft based on soil sample recommendations for my area. Does this sound reasonable to use as a general rule for Fescue? Also, we overseed around mid to late September. I usually lime a yard 3-4 weeks before that. Is that ok or too early?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I usually get a soil sample for my own yard and regular customers. However, I'm getting new calls about overseeding fescue in which I will not have time to get a soil sample and wait for the results. Do you guys have a general rule about how much to apply? I usually do about 20 lbs. per 1,000 sq ft based on soil sample recommendations for my area. Does this sound reasonable to use as a general rule for Fescue? Also, we overseed around mid to late September. I usually lime a yard 3-4 weeks before that. Is that ok or too early?
Thanks.
A good indicator is your soil PH. You could buy a good PH tester and do it yourself, but buy a really good one. If it is somewhere around 6.5-7.0--you're OK. There a thread he that gives some brand names.
Greer,just out of Spartenburg, SC, may not need it. Very seldom does coastal SC require lime due to the huge calcium deposits from shells. Roy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.