How much may I start off with?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by Mason22, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mason22

Mason22 LawnSite Member

Hey guys. Met this guy at my new church. I believe he has 3 solid guys but he is trying to recruit more solid ones as he is still have turn overs constantly with other guys. I myself I have no professional lawn care experience, but my schedule is completely open, I’m super dedicated, and I’m completely clean with a DL and all of that. I’m in Central Florida. Just curious, would like to know a good estimate before I jump into it. Also, how many hours will I probably do?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Think about it. He has a constant turn over of workers. Why is that? I would want to know the answer to that question first before I jumped into it. I can speculate. Very hot and humid. Long hours--10 or more. 6 days a week. You may or may not get a lunch break. Low pay
    Not sure why you are asking us. Ask him. Make a list of questions: ie pay, hours, benefits, days etc

3. OP
    OP
    Mason22

Mason22 LawnSite Member

He’s actually a super cool, joyful guy. And I met his crew, they’re all super joyful people and they’re all tight. I imagine he makes the conditions as best as possible but at the end of the day lawns need mowed and we’re living in Florida. The only thing concerning to me is the pay but I don’t think he would hire somebody to barely pay them unless they were working for him temporarily. Do you ever run across people and it blows your mind like WOW that is a super good and joyful person? That’s him so that’s why I have interest in the job. His crew and I all get along super well, so that might help a little when it’s a long hot day. Thank you man! I guess I was just more curious for the rates in central Florida for a guy who is dedicated to do this long term and super flexible with things like hours.

4. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to decide yourself what rate would make you a good and joyful person and ask him for it. The worse that could happen is he says no. Sometimes some of us employers sell a false level of expectations which leads to turnover. As to how many hours you get? Again ask him not us. I’ll let you work as many hours as you want. The most important thing for me was that you show up for work when you say you are going to work. It’s tough to see a crew standing around on the clock waiting for someone off the clock.

5. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Just remember that with some people, they may be a completely different person at work than outside of work. I know one guy like this that I used to help out on occasion. My family has known him longer than I've been alive, and he would help anybody. But when he got into "business owner mode", he was completely different. Scatterbrained, argumentative, etc. Not terrible by any means, but I don't think I could work for him for too long. Neither could anybody else, which is part of the reason he went out of business a few years ago.

6. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

Im not starting any job without knowing what the pay is. There's nothing wrong with asking how much he will be paying you.

7. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

How much do you think he should pay you being you have no expierience? Realistically, i myself, would start you at $10 an hour. Here minimum wage is $8.50 but i would do the $10. You have zero knowledge of the work. I laugh when people here apply for the positions (when we have them open) and ask for 15 or 20 an hour but have no clue what theyre doing.

8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

You should ask him not us, how could we know how many hours you work?

Does he want you to come to work? You mention it? If your going to drive, you ever pulled a trailer or had to back one up?

Edit: I’ve also met and worked with someone who was night and day on the job. Different industry, absolutely hated it.

9. fireball756

Hate to say it but I would pay more for no experience than for experienced help. It was easier to train you to do it my way if you didn’t know anything. Breaking people of bad habits is tough. Or listening to complaints about how heavy our movers are compared to previous employer. Or green mowers are better than red ones. I hire for your attitude not your experience on a lawn crew. Having said that spray technicians, pruners, and mechanics make more with experience.

10. fireball756

Hate to say it but I would pay more for no experience than for experienced help. It was easier to train you to do it my way if you didn’t know anything. Breaking people of bad habits is tough. Or listening to complaints about how heavy our movers are compared to previous employer. Or green mowers are better than red ones. I hire for your attitude not your experience on a lawn crew. Having said that spray technicians, pruners, and mechanics make more with experience.

View attachment 384638