1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

How much should I charge to spread mulch?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Beausif, Mar 25, 2017.

1. h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

Your mileage may vary depending on the lot/area/beds. What works in one 3 cu yd scenario, doesn't necessarily for others. Hauling 1, maybe 2 bags several yards away, one at a time doesn't seem quite as efficient to me as wheeling a wheel barrow full.

hort101 and Darryl G like this.
  2. Honey-Do lawn care

Honey-Do lawn care LawnSite Member

I am solo and avg. $45 ph mostly sitting on a tractor.. I wouldn't take less for carrying and spreading mulch or hand pulling weeds on my old knees..I tell my customers, I charge $60 an hour for me and my equipment.. I'll wash your car, clean your pool, cut up a falling tree or mulch/plant/weed your flower beds..

h&m GARDENS, knox gsl and kemco like this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, Ive told customers kinda tongue in cheek that if they want we will cut their lawn with scissors at $60 per man per hour. Labor rate doesn't really change. We charge a little less than that for leaf removal just because that's what our market is willing to pay.

hort101 and Honey-Do lawn care like this.
  4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you. The home center bagged stuff is light and fluffy. I've used the bagged double grind bark and it'll wear you out. I almost bought a half semi load of bags, glad I didn't.

5. flashsmith

flashsmith LawnSite Member

The wheelbarrow method is hard work. I use an 8x10 tarp. Shovel the mulch onto the tarp and drag it across the lawn wherever I need it. Dump,spread and repeat. I can get 5 yards out in about 2 hours by myself. Much better on your body than rolling a wheelbarrow through thick grass. The tarp slides across the grass easily.

6. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $72 per yard labor + cost of mulch.
    I include edging in alot of jobs but either way I average 40-60minutes per yard including travel /edging / spreading / cleanup.

7. flashsmith

flashsmith LawnSite Member

I charge $50 a yard installed includes material. Yep its low but I only do it for current customers and a few others and only during the winter primarily between Thanksgiving and Christmas. No need to clean out the beds because they are already maintained just re mulching. Im too busy the rest of the year with irrigation and mowing. I could be sitting doing nothing or making 60 an hour that time of year..

8. h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

All due respect, home center mulch is crap. IMHO

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree, the processor will send it all through a trommel to remove the fines to make it lighter and easier to ship. They then take the fines and sell that as soil conditioner or top soil mix. What I was looking at buying wasn't what you get at Home Depot. It was high quality hardwood bark bagged, fines and all, about twice as heavy as the retail stuff.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Cory A Angelino

Cory A Angelino LawnSite Member

I usually hand pull weeds and then I use Preen after the fact which is a pre-emergent and prevent any weeds from coming up in the future for my experience at his work very well