How much to charge for aerations ??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by On a call, Oct 15, 2018.

1. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Sizes vary from 4000 to 60,000 sq feet.

What do you guys charge ? I was thinking the smaller yards 75.00 up about 6000 and beyond that I had no idea ? Maybe by the hour ?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sounds fair.

Walker56 likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Customers prefer a firm price in advance. It is your job to calculate how much time it will take.
    Add your labor time per thous. Add your per thousand machine time(cost to buy the machine so it is paid off in 3 years on average.) Add a per thousand charge to repair and maintain the machine, R&M). Add a profit per thousand. Multiply by the thousands sqft.
    Then add your overhead charge (stop charge).
    Suppose your charge per thousand is $8.
    Multiply by 6 for the yard size. Get $48.
    Add your stop (overhead) charge of $25, resulting in $73.

Print out a price list.
    Then if you want to give someone a discount--that is up to you.

kemco and hort101 like this.
  4. On a call

You rock Riggs !

I owe you a dinner.

DXN1EL and hort101 like this.
  5. On a call

Do you ever make it over to my side of the state ?? I seldom make your way.

6. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

10 per k with a $75 minimum if there is seeding. Then seed is $3.50-5 per lb depending on what putting down.

Minimum without seeding is $100 regardless how small lawn is. This is also assuming a flat lawn, minimal obstacles, cut short & sprinklers marked in advance. Factor in more for pita if needed

Weekend Barry and hort101 like this.
  7. Richard Moore

Richard Moore LawnSite Member

I base it on $75 per hour to aerate and I charge $2.75 per lb for seed which is more than double what I pay for seed. Plus fertilizer application based on sq feet. Minimum for aerate seed and fert for a small lawn is at least $140 up to $300 for larger lawns. Price it so that you don’t feel rushed or pressured. Keeps them a long term customer.

8. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

I usually charge the same price that I charge to mow the property. Im covering the same amount of area but with a little more difficulty (aerator) so I tack on a little extra to compensate for that. Say a $60 yard I aerate for $80. Im not cheating the customer, or myself. You only get 1 back dont use it up for nothing.

9. On a call

Hmmm....but your equipment is only used once a year and costs about 4x's depending on what you use.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Aerate = $15 per 1000, $150 minimum
    Overseed = $10 per 1000, $50 minimum

I pay around $2 per lb for decent seed. I will discount a little for lawns over 25k. And I offer a package price for aerate/seed/fertilize.

Lawns in my area average 20k sq/ft

JFGLN and hort101 like this.