How much to charge for equipment?

mhamilton

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone. I own a landscaping company in NJ and everyday I'm working to get my numbers right. My question here on numbers is this: if I am using a power rake and an aerator on a property, how much do I charge the client for using those machines? Do I just charge what the client would have to pay for a rental at home depot? Do I do something with the salvage value? I appreciate any feedback.

njmowerman

LawnSite Member
Your comment about Home Depot is going down the wrong track. You are giving Home Depot too much credit and not accounting for the value that your business would provide.

Home Depot rentals work great if you know what machine you need and what size you need and they have the machine in stock that day and you know how to use it (and your ground isn't too dry) and you have time to pick it up and return it and you can lift it into your truck and you can afford to pay if you hit something that you shouldn't have and you don't run out of gas or supplies and the machine actually accomplishes what you hoped it would. The actual cost of the rental is only one of many considerations when you look into renting a tool from Home Depot.

The customer expects to pay much more than a tool rental price when he hires a professional.

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread might be worth reading..

njmowerman

LawnSite Member
Exhibits A, B, and C for why a typical homeowner should skip tool rental and pay the big bucks to hire a professional:

- Sewer snakes broken off deep in pipes
- Wood floors rutted with drum sanders
- The red tip on the power washer

Top Forums