How much to charge for leaf removal

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Triptoy2002, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Triptoy2002

Triptoy2002 LawnSite Member

I have just recieved my first estimate request for spring leaf removal. The property is about 10,000 sqft, flat, the backyard is fenced. There are mature trees in the area, and I think the blanket of leaves is around 2" thick average in the back. Im one man with a nice husqie backpack (on par with redmax 8000). I plan to blow/haul them to the curb and leave them there. These leaves have been sitting all winter. I have plenty experience doing the work, but prices are all new to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

How long will It take you? Depends on your area too..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OP
    OP
    Triptoy2002

Sorry I meant to say it should take me about two hours roughly. I know the prices are different in different areas but I'm trying to get a general idea of what a reasonable pricing formula would be. Once I have done a few of these I should have a better idea of what price range is more accurate from my area
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. yardsmowed

yardsmowed LawnSite Senior Member

I don't feel I should charge mowing rates for leaf cleanup. I feel $20-$30/hour. Thats me. If I bag and haul off it is more. Recently a man paid me $50/hour for 3 hours total. Blew some and bagged some.

I would figure what you think is fair for a man hour plus equipment use, gas, oil. Haul off is extra IMO!

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on What it costs you to do the job.. $160 min sounds OK of it only takes two hours and no dump fees etc
    Posted via Mobile Device

North Idaho Dream likes this.
  6. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Doing leaves in the spring sucks. Make sure to account for that in your price.

North Idaho Dream and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Triptoy2002

$20/hr would cover costs, but not leave me with much profit. Do you guys like to charge a flat fee+ labor? Or just labor and make it high enough to be profitable? Here is a sample of the pricing concept I was thinking about before I posted:

Leaf Cleanup Price
    $45/hr labor
    Fixed Fees (-labor)
    -$100 up to 5500 sq ft
    -$0.025 per sq ft up to 11000 sq ft
    -$0.01 per sq ft up to 22000 sq ft
    -$0.0055 per sq ft 43000 sq ft+
    -existing customers, + 10% if no other services
    -$50 haul away fee

I don't have a yard myself, and I don't know anyone in my area yet, otherwise I would just get quotes from other businesses to feel out my local market.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. joeslawncaree

joeslawncaree LawnSite Senior Member

Clean ups I'm at 80.00 a hour plus 30.00 dump fee. I look at the property and give them a total price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Cam15 likes this.
  9. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

So true!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

usually I charge 5 times the mowing charge. if its a $50 yard for mowing it will be $250 for leaf cleanup.
    Posted via Mobile Device