Lawn Care Forum banner

how much to charge for mulch

23K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  N&CLandscaping 
#1 ·
I am 16 years old and currently am doing brush removal and various landsaping. I am wondering how much to charge for a dump truck load of mulch. My 1 ton dump is a 9 ft by 8 ft with 24 inch sides. I don't want to over charge. Thanks

#2 ·
It's different from place to place, but around here you could sell it for $50/yd. install and delivery included. This is just sawmill, HW mulch double hammered.

#5 ·
I deliver it by the cubic yard. I can put up to 5 yards on my 1 ton dump. Here they sell it by the yard and the regular double ground is less expensive when you buy 3+ yards. The dyed mulch does not get a discount upon volume because of the cost to color it. Not much markup in mulch but I make it on the delivery.

#7 ·
I am getting the double ground hardwood for $27 + tax & the Sahara red for something like $30. I will install it for an additional $40 a yard. Delivery is free over 5 yards. I average 8 yards per job.

#8 ·
I pay:
18 - hardwood
28 - dyed
38 - cedar

This is the best mulch I've ever seen, no chunks, sticks, garbage. Every piece is perfect. I do get a 20% discount over others because of the quantity I buy.

I charge:
55 - HW
65 - Dyed
76 - Cedar

Around 32/yd delivered and installed, plus fuel surcharge 5%. Average job is around 25-30yd. Hard to go higher with all the shooters and day laboring no insurance companies around here. Years ago you could convince someone that they should be hiring legit companies. The last 2 years it has been whoever gets it done cheapest no matter what.

#9 ·
palmersfirewood said:
I am 16 years old and currently am doing brush removal and various landsaping. I am wondering how much to charge for a dump truck load of mulch. My 1 ton dump is a 9 ft by 8 ft with 24 inch sides. I don't want to over charge. Thanks
Price of mulch x mark up (say 20%)
hours per yard x labor rate (say $45 -$60 per hour)

example
your price on mulch $20 per yard equals $24 per yard to client
.5 man hours per yard installed equals $22.50 - 30 per yard
add on delivery fee.
My mulch yard charges $35 for local and an extra $5 per 5 miles beyond their idea of local
Add in additional charges for degree of difficulty. having to wheelbarrow it up a steep hill

in the example you would charge $46.50 - $54 per yard (installed) plus delivery fee and difficulty surcharge if needed.

Don't bother with just doing deliveries. NO profit in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.